Great for the holiday season, this Strawberry Toasts with Mozzarella Recipe is a hit@
The holiday season has officially arrived! Even though a bit of panic set in just as I typed that statement, I know that I have lots to look forward to during the month of December. Traditional tree trimming, checking out the beautiful holiday lights in our neighborhood, baking cookies with the kids and, of course, gathering with family, friends and coworkers.
By far, getting together and sharing great foods with friends and loved ones is one of my favorite things to do during this time of year, but let’s be honest, typical food options are not always the healthiest! No matter how strong our willpower may be, it can be extremely challenging to stick to healthy habits, but I’ve got a delicious recipe that can help keep us all on track. It’s light, healthy and will look beautiful on your holiday table!
This recipe features strawberries dressed in a combo of honey and a balsamic vinegar reduction, then roasted in the oven. Roasting brings out a rich, sweet flavor to the strawberries and this pairs perfectly with melted fresh mozzarella cheese on toasted crusty bread.
Besides adding a bright and festive flair to your holiday spread, strawberries are packed with nutrients that benefit the entire body. A serving of eight strawberries has been shown to promote heart health, brain health and even helps with diabetes management. Strawberries have also been shown to reduce the risk of certain cancers. (Source: California Strawberries). The best part? They are naturally sweet, yet low in sugar. A single serving has less than half the sugar of an apple and half the calories of a banana, making them the perfect option for your holiday spread. Though they may be small, strawberries pack a big nutrition and flavor punch to both sweet and savory dishes, so enjoy!
Roasted Balsamic Strawberry Toasts with Mozzarella
Recipe type: Appetizer
Prep time: 15 minutes Cook time: 35 minutes Total time:45 minutes
Serves: 4 (2 toasts = 1 serving)
For Balsamic Reduction:
- 3/4 cup good quality balsamic vinegar
- 1 pound strawberries, cleaned, hulled and cut in half
- 3/4 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoon balsamic reduction
- 8 slices of ciabatta or baguette
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese
- Fresh basil
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Over medium heat, add balsamic vinegar into a small saucepan. Heat until vinegar boils, then reduce heat a simmer. Stir occasionally to avoid scorching. Simmer for 10-13 minutes, until vinegar has reduced by at least half and consistency is that of syrup. Set aside.
- Place prepared strawberries in a large bowl. Add honey and 2 tablespoons of prepared balsamic reduction to strawberries and mix to combine ingredients.
- Transfer berries to a parchment lined baking sheet. Arrange in an even layer. Bake berries for 25-30 minutes. When done, set aside and allow to cool slightly.
- While strawberries are roasting, prepare toasts by brushing them with olive oil, place on a baking sheet and place into the oven for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove toasts from the oven. Add sliced fresh mozzarella cheese to each one and top with roasted strawberries.
- Place prepared toasts back into the oven for about 5 minutes, or just until cheese begins to melt. Remove from oven and top with a fresh basil leaf. Garnish with an extra drizzle of balsamic reduction and extra basil, if desired.
Check out more California Strawberry Recipes here!