These Chocolate Cupcakes with Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting are such a special treat. Whether it’s Valentine’s Day or just a good day to show some love, everyone is flattered by surprises – chocolate cupcakes with a strawberry heart surprise are a wonderful way to go!
As we all know, chocolate dipped strawberries are a classic treat for Valentine’s Day, but this year I’m changing it up. How about rich chocolate buttermilk and coffee cupcakes topped with strawberry cream cheese frosting and a sweet surprise?
Aren’t these cupcakes absolutely adorable? Are you wondering how the heck I baked a strawberry in the batter?
This is such a fun little magic trick. They look like average chocolate cupcakes, but once you cut them in half there is a strawberry inside the cupcake, and it’s shaped like a heart!
How did I make them, you ask? Watch this video to get the gist and read the recipe below, but basically all you do is stuff each cupcake after baked with a hulled strawberry, then hide it with cupcake crumbs and frosting. When you slice the cupcakes in half, the strawberries look like hearts..taadaa!
With beautiful and juicy strawberries displayed at markets this time of year, they’re all I really want to eat right now. The leafy tops are a convenient handle for eating, but for this recipe they just get in the way. Sure, you could chop the tops off, but you lose what’s often the sweetest part of the berry and the heart shape, so take the extra time and hull the strawberries.
It goes without saying that these would be such a sweet treat to bake up for loved ones on Valentine’s Day, and they will no doubt be a huge hit when I share these babies at my sons Valentine’s Day classroom party.
Moist and tender chocolate buttermilk and coffee cupcakes with homemade strawberry cream cheese frosting make Valentine’s Day extra sweet with California Strawberries.
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup baking cocoa
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup fresh brewed coffee
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 14 - 16 strawberries, hulled
- 1 (8 oz) package cream cheese, softened
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, at room temperature (optional for a thicker and creamier frosting)
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup chopped fresh strawberries
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In a stand mixer, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla.
- In a bowl combine the flour, cocoa, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture alternately with coffee and buttermilk, beating well after each addition.
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Using a paring knife, core out a well down into each cupcake, for your hulled strawberry to fit into. Stick the strawberry pointy side down into your cupcakes. Take the piece of the cupcake that you cut out, and place it on top of the strawberry, after you push it down into the cupcake.
- Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting:
- Beat cream cheese and butter, if using with an electric mixer until fluffy. Gradually beat in sugar, until smooth. Add strawberries, lemon zest, and lemon juice and beat until well combined. Spread frosting on cupcakes with a spatula or use a piping bag.
Check out more California Strawberry Recipes here!