These festive and colorful Buñuelo Berry Muffin Cups are the perfect dessert recipe for entertaining friends and family!
I love individually-portioned desserts and I wanted to highlight strawberries as well as blueberries and blackberries to make a festive Mother’s Day, Fourth of July or Christmas dessert – the possibilities are endless!
California strawberries are produced year round and sweet any time of year, but peak season signals an abundance of strawberries just waiting to be added to your favorite breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, and desserts. Did you know that one serving of eight medium strawberries is only 45 calories? Strawberries are easy to prepare, available year-round, and deliver exceptional nutrition and health benefits.
These sweet dessert cups are made with flour tortillas that are cut with a 4-inch cookie cutter. I brushed them with olive oil and dusted each round with a sugar and cinnamon mixture, and placed them in a muffin pan.
They are baked until slightly crispy, filled with a homemade Chantilly cream, and topped with fresh berries that are combined with sugar and vanilla and baked until bubbly to make a delicious roasted berry filling.
These simple cups remind me of buñuelos that are traditionally made during Christmas. They are basically Mexican fritters but these are shaped in muffin cups rather than flat tortilla shapes, and baked instead of deep-fried – making the base for this dessert so simple. No dough or crust necessary.
These buñuelo cups would be a simple and great dessert to make with your children this Mother’s Day. See me and my son create them in the video below!
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 2-3 large flour tortillas
- 2 Tbsp granulated sugar
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 lb strawberries cut in half lengthwise
- 6 oz blueberries
- 6 oz blackberries
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- Vanilla bean, split and seeds removed
- 1 cup whipping heavy cream
- ½ Tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp fine granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cut tortillas into 8 4-inch rounds.
- Brush rounds with olive oil.
- Dust with sugar and cinnamon mixture.
- Place rounds in muffin cups.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Remove buñuelo cups to cool.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Place strawberries, blueberries, and blackberries in a baking dish and toss with sugar and vanilla bean and seeds.
- Roast for 20 minutes. Cool to room temperature before serving.
- Place cream, vanilla, and sugar in a bowl of an electric mixer and beat until soft peaks begin to form. Cover and refrigerate until serving.
- Plate a buñuelo cup, fill with Chantilly cream, add roasted berries over the Chantilly cream, and garnish with a mint leaf and lemon zest.