Before working for California strawberry farmers I’d never thought of using strawberries in savory dishes very much. Sure I’d had salads with strawberries, but I had not yet tried anything more adventurous than that.
A couple years ago while at a blogger event in San Francisco, I tasted Italian rice balls with a strawberry compote stuffing instead of the more traditional tomato sauce. It was one of those moments when you can honestly say to yourself, or anyone in the vicinity, “I think this is the best thing I ever ate.”
Since that time I’ve done a lot of experimenting in my own kitchen, and at work. Part of my job requires putting together events that showcase the versatility of strawberries, and sometimes that means challenging chefs to come up with unique ways to serve strawberries. I’ve had the pleasure of tasting creations like baby back ribs with strawberry barbecue sauce, strawberry flatbread pizza with balsamic glaze, strawberry nachos, strawberry and prawn spring rolls – and the list goes on.
This recipe for strawberry and avocado tostadas is a good starter recipe for those looking to experiment with new ways to enjoy strawberries. Like me, you might also be pleasantly surprised at how delicious strawberries can be when added to savory dishes.
- 2½ cups (about ¾ pound) fresh California strawberries, stemmed and quartered
- ½ pound jicama, peeled and cut into ½-inch dice
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- 1 teaspoon minced jalapeño peppers
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 pound avocados, peeled, seeded and cut into ½-inch dice
- 6 (6-inch) yellow corn tortillas
- Chili powder
- 6 tablespoons crumbled queso fresco
- 6 cilantro sprigs
- 1 lime, cut into 6 wedges
- Heat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. In large bowl, mix together strawberries, jicama, cilantro, peppers and lime juice. Add avocados; fold together gently. Season with salt. Arrange tortillas on oven rack in one layer. Toast about 10 minutes or until crisp and starting to brown. Mound 1 cup strawberry mixture in center of each tortilla. Sprinkle each tostada with chili powder and 1 tablespoon queso fresco. Garnish with 1 cilantro sprig and 1 lime wedge.