Who doesn’t love a delicious strawberry salad? Knowing that California strawberries are low in sugar and calories – only 45 calories per serving! – enjoying this salad is even sweeter. Not to mention, it’s a super easy way to eat a serving of 8 strawberries.
Eating one serving of 8 strawberries a day has many surprising health benefits! For example, eating 8 medium strawberries provides 160 percent of the recommended daily intake of vitamin C, and 5 percent of the recommended daily intake of potassium. Talk about some great health benefits in a tiny package!
Check out the recipes below from our friend and registered dietitian Manuel Villacorta. Let us know what you think!
- 1 cup dry quinoa
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 16 medium sized California strawberries, de-stemmed and cut into half inch slices
- 1 whole avocado
- 8 tablespoons Roasted Strawberry Vinaigrette (see recipe below)
- In a small sauce pan, add the quinoa, vegetable stock, and sea salt. Bring it up to a boil and then simmer. Cook for 15 minutes or until the quinoa is cooked. Set aside and cool.
- Slice up the strawberries and set aside in a bowl.
- Peel and cut the avocado into ¼ slices.
- Serve 4 strawberries sliced with ¼ avocado and mix 2 tablespoons of dressing per serving.
Roasted Strawberry Vinaigrette Recipe
In this recipe, roast the strawberries to bring out the natural sweetness of the fruit. By combining it with thyme, the herbal notes offer a great complement to the sweet berry flavors.
- 8 medium sized California strawberries, stemmed and cut in half
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- Canola oil spray
- ½ teaspoon mustard
- ⅛ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.. In a medium-sized bowl, add the strawberries, coconut sugar and thyme. Mix and let it sit for about 5 minutes to allow some of the natural juices to be released.
- Cover a baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray with canola oil. Add the strawberry mixture and roast for 8 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool for 1 minute.
- In a food processor, add the strawberry mixture. Make sure to get any excess juices left over from the baking sheet. Add the mustard, salt, vinegar and oil. Puree until it reaches a smooth consistency.
- Refrigerate and store up to one week.