If you could pull your eyes away from this beautiful photo, you may want to try this unique and flavorful gazpacho recipe, created by Kankana at Playful Cooking.
Spicy Strawberry & Watermelon Gazpacho
Serves: 3 cups
This Spicy Strawberry Watermelon Gazpacho had roasted cumin seeds, fennel seeds and a few dashes of hot sauce for that lovely earthy spicy flavor. I just mixed everything and let it sit in the refrigerator for an hour or so, before blending it to a smooth consistency. Making gazpacho is so easy! It’s a perfect summer treat for sure.
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon fennel seeds
- 3 cups hulled and quartered strawberries
- 1 cup diced watermelon
- 1 cup diced tomato
- ¼ cup diced red onion
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1½ teaspoon tabasco or hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt plus more to sprinkle while serving
- Few basil leaves and slices of strawberries for garnish
- Place a small pan on medium high heat and when it’s hot enough, scatter the fennel seeds and cumin seeds. Dry roast for a few seconds by shaking the pan every now and then. Once the color of the spices changes to a mildly darker shade, switch off the heat. Put the roasted spice in a mortar pestle and crush it to a fine dust.
- Take a big mixing bowl and drop the strawberries, watermelon, tomatoes, half of the onion, roasted and powdered spice, hot sauce, vinegar, salt and extra virgin olive oil. Mix it properly. Cover the bowl with a clear wrap and let it sit in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
- Take it out of the refrigerator and blend it to a smooth consistency.
- Garnish with rest of the chopped red onion, strawberry slices and basil leaves. Sprinkle some kosher salt on top and drizzle extra virgin olive oil.