We love a savory spin on strawberries. Check out this Fennel Roasted Strawberries Labneh Crostini from Playful Cooking for a new and exciting appetizer that’s packed with vital nutrients like vitamin C, potassium and fiber.
If you’ve never tried roasting strawberries, this might be the perfect recipe for you!
- 1 pound fresh California strawberries
- 2 cups non-fat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- Pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon honey to drizzle
- 2 tablespoons roughly chopped pistachios
- A few fresh mint leaves
- 4 Baguette bread slices
- Fold a cheesecloth in half, and layer it on a colander. Place the colander in the sink or a bigger bowl. Drop the Greek yogurt on the cheesecloth, and tie the edges of the cheesecloth to drain out all the excess water from the yogurt. Leave the colander aside for 4 hours or overnight in the refrigerator.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F/175 C.
- Trim the top of the strawberries, and the slice them in half or quarter. Layer them on a baking pan.
- Roughly crush the fennel seeds, and sprinkle them evenly on the strawberries, along with salt.
- Bake it for 15 minutes. (The roasted strawberries can be made in advance, and stored in an airtight glass jar in the refrigerator.)
- To prepare the labneh dip/spread, untie the cheesecloth and put the labneh on a serving plate. Spread it on the plate, and then, placing the back of your spoon against the labneh, press it down lightly as you rotate the plate to create swirls. Spoon the roasted strawberries on top, along with the juice. Don’t cover the labneh completely. Sprinkle the pistachios, drizzle honey and garnish with fresh mint.