Are you a flatbread fan? Then we have the recipe for you! Try these Buckwheat Flatbreads with Strawberries, Avocado and Herbs from our friend at Cowgirl Chef.
This flatbread uses half buckwheat and half regular flour. Instead of tomatoes used as a topping, strawberries are the star of this flatbread, and offer a bit of a surprise to a savory dish. Plus, a serving of eight strawberries is packed with beneficial antioxidants and nutrients, including potassium, folate and fiber.
Give this recipe a try and enjoy!
- 1 package yeast
- ¾ cup warm water
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 Tbsp olive oil + 1 Tbsp for the bowl
- 1 cup buckwheat flour
- 1¼ cups bread flour
- 16 oz ricotta
- 1 pint California strawberries
- 1 avocado
- 8 fresh basil leaves
- A few sprigs of fresh chives
- 12 fresh mint leaves
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and pepper
- Put the first 5 ingredients in your mixer bowl and stir to combine. Let rest for 5 minutes or until the mixture is foamy. Add the flours. Mix for about 5 minutes or until the dough is smooth and no longer sticky and releases from the bowl.
- Add the olive oil to a medium bowl, transfer the dough to the bowl, and cover with plastic wrap. Put in the fridge for 6 to 8 hours, or let rest overnight.
- When you’re ready to make the flatbreads, pull the dough out of the fridge, and let it come to room temperature. Divide the dough into 8 pieces.
- Half-cook the flatbreads. Roll out each piece of dough on a lightly floured board, and put into a medium-size skillet over medium-high heat. When the first side bubbles, flip it over and cook for a few more seconds, until very lightly browned — remember, you’re only cooking these halfway. Remove and stack on a plate. Repeat with the remaining flatbreads.
- Save time: Make the flatbreads in advance, and keep them in a plastic bag in the fridge or freezer.
- Preheat the oven to broil. Put the 4 flatbreads on a baking sheet. Spread 2 tablespoonsful of ricotta on each one. Bake for 10 minutes or until crisp on the edges.
- Hull and thinly slice the strawberries, and add them to the flatbreads.
- Dice the avocado, and add one-fourth to each of the 4 flatbreads.
- Chop the herbs and scatter them on top. Drizzle with a little bit of olive oil, and sprinkle with sea salt and pepper. Serve warm or at room temperature.