Vanilla-Spiced Buckwheat Porridge with Strawberries and Pumpkin Seeds
Healthy and comforting? Check! Try this delicious Vanilla-Spiced Buckwheat Porridge from registered dietitian Katie Cavuto!
The strawberries give this porridge a punch of natural sweetness and a splash of color, while providing a multitude of health benefits. Did you know that just one serving of eight strawberries a day benefits your whole body?
- 1 cup raw buckwheat groats (different than kasha, which is roasted)
- 1½ cups water
- 1 ½ cups unsweetened vanilla almond milk, divided
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cinnamon stick or ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp orange zest, divided
- ¼ tsp cardamom
- 2 tbsp real maple syrup
- 2 tbsp ground flax seeds (optional)
- 2 cups quartered strawberries
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed orange juice
- ¼ cup pumpkin seeds
- Rinse the buckwheat using a fine-mesh strainer.
- Add the rinsed buckwheat to a medium-sized saucepan along with the water, ¾ cup of almond milk, vanilla extract and the cinnamon stick.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then decrease the heat to simmer. Cover and cook for 12 minutes.
- At the 12-minute mark, turn off the heat and stir in the orange zest, cardamom and maple syrup. Cover the buckwheat to steam in the pot for an additional 5 minutes.
- While the buckwheat continues to cook, combine the strawberries with the remaining orange zest and orange juice.
- Uncover the buckwheat, and stir in the remaining ¾ cup of almond milk and the ground flax. Remove the cinnamon stick.
- Divide the porridge into 4 bowls, and top each with ½ cup of strawberries and 1 tablespoon of pumpkin seeds.