Strawberry Quinoa Salad with Roasted Vinagrette
Who doesn’t love a delicious strawberry salad? This Strawberry Quinoa Salad with Roasted Vinagrette will satisfy your cravings. Knowing that California strawberries are low in sugar and calories – only 45 calories per serving! – enjoying this salad is even sweeter. Not to mention, it’s a super easy way to eat a serving of 8 strawberries.
Eating one serving of 8 strawberries a day has many suprising health benefits! For example, eating 8 medium strawberries provides 110 percent of the recommended daily intake of vitamin C, and 5 percent of the recommended daily intake of potassium. Talk about some great health benefits in a tiny package!
Check out the recipe below from our friend and registered dietitian Manuel Villacorta. Let us know what you think!
- 1 cup dry quinoa
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 16 medium sized California strawberries, destemmed and cut into half inch slices
- 1 whole avocado
- 8 tbsp Roasted Strawberry Vinaigrette (see recipe below)
- In a small sauce pan, add the quinoa, vegetable stock, and sea salt. Bring it up to a boil and then simmer. Cook for 15 minutes or until the quinoa is cooked. Set aside and cool.
- Slice up the strawberries and set aside in a bowl.
- Peel and cut the avocado into ¼ slices.
- Serve 4 strawberries sliced with ¼ avocado and mix 2 tablespoons of dressing per serving.
In this recipe, roast the strawberries to bring out the natural sweetness of the fruit. By combining it with thyme, the herbal notes offer a great complement to the sweet berry flavors.
- 8 medium sized California strawberries, stemmed and cut in half
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- Canola oil spray
- ½ tsp mustard
- ⅛ tsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.. In a medium-sized bowl, add the strawberries, coconut sugar and thyme. Mix and let it sit for about 5 minutes to allowsome of the natural juices to be released.
- Cover a baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray with canola oil. Add the strawberry mixture and roast for 8 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool for 1 minute.
- In a food processor, add the strawberry mixture. Make sure to get any excess juices left over from the baking sheet. Add the mustard, salt, vinegar and oil. Puree until it reaches a smooth consistency.
- Refrigerate and store up to one week.