Low in Sugar and CaloriesWho doesn’t love a delicious strawberry salad? This Strawberry Quinoa Salad with Roasted Strawberry Vinaigrette will satisfy your cravings. Knowing that California strawberries are low in sugar and calories – only 50 calories per serving! – enjoying this salad is even sweeter. Not to mention, it’s a super easy way to eat a serving of 8 strawberries. Eating one serving of 8 strawberries a day has many surprising health benefits! For example, eating 8 medium strawberries provides 110 percent of the recommended daily intake of vitamin C, and 5 percent of the recommended daily intake of potassium. Talk about some great health benefits in a tiny package! Check out the recipe below from our friend and registered dietitian Manuel Villacorta. Let us know what you think!
Strawberry Quinoa Salad with Roasted Strawberry Vinaigrette
Strawberry Quinoa Salad
- 1 cup dry quinoa
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 16 medium sized California strawberries de-stemmed and cut into half inch slices
- 1 whole avocado
- 8 Tbsp Roasted Strawberry Vinaigrette
Roasted Strawberry Vinaigrette
- 8 medium sized California strawberries stemmed and cut in half
- 1 Tbsp coconut sugar
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- Canola oil spray
- ½ tsp mustard
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
To make the Strawberry Quinoa Salad:
- In a small sauce pan, add the quinoa, vegetable stock, and sea salt. Bring it up to a boil and then simmer. Cook for 15 minutes or until the quinoa is cooked. Set aside and cool.
- Slice up the strawberries and set aside in a bowl.
- Peel and cut the avocado into ¼ slices.
- Serve 4 strawberries sliced with ¼ avocado and mix 2 tablespoons of dressing per serving.
To make the Roasted Strawberry Vinaigrette:
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.. In a medium-sized bowl, add the strawberries, coconut sugar and thyme. Mix and let it sit for about 5 minutes to allowsome of the natural juices to be released.
- Cover a baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray with canola oil. Add the strawberry mixture and roast for 8 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool for 1 minute.
- In a food processor, add the strawberry mixture. Make sure to get any excess juices left over from the baking sheet. Add the mustard, salt, vinegar and oil. Puree until it reaches a smooth consistency.
- Refrigerate and store up to one week.