Strawberry Silly Faces
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Servings: 12 Strawberries
Calories: 334kcalPrint Recipe
- 12 large California strawberries
- ½ cantaloupe
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 Tbsp powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ cup dark chocolate chips
- Remove the stems from all the berries and cut just a little off the base so that they sit flat with their points straight up. Using the small end of a melon baller, remove a ball from the lower half of each upside-down strawberry. Then, using a small paring knife, lop off the very tip of each berry for the “hat.”
- Using the same melon baller, make 12 cantaloupe balls and insert one in each strawberry hole. Set the berries aside while you make the whipped cream.
- Combine the cream, sugar and vanilla in a stand mixer (or in a bowl and use a hand mixer) and whip to medium stiff peaks. Put the whipped cream in a piping bag fitted with a small tip (or use a ziplock bag with the corner snipped off) and pipe swirls of silly “hair” on top of each berry under their “hats.”
- Microwave the chocolate in 15 second intervals until completely melted. Pour melted chocolate into a paper cone (or a small ziplock bag with just the tiniest corner snipped off) and pipe little silly faces on the melon face of each berry. Get creative here; add a little bowtie or pompom on top of the hats!
Kitchen Equipment Required: stand mixer or hand mixer, paring knife, melon baller, piping bag or ziplock bags. Technique Tip: Don’t make your melon ball hollows too close to the base of the strawberry or it might break open when you add the melon. If your melon is exceptionally juicy, roll the balls around on a paper towel before putting into the berries so that the chocolate piping will stick. Swap Option: Swap in kiwi, honeydew, or apple for the cantaloupe! Basically anything you can melon-ball, you can make into the silly face.
Serving: 4 berries | Calories: 334kcal | Carbohydrates: 34g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 21g | Saturated Fat: 13g | Cholesterol: 45mg | Sodium: 33mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 28g