Blogs We Follow
Meet Dave Grotto
“Guyatitian” and acclaimed author, Dave Grotto, recommends a list of ten foods to include in a healthy diet. Find out how many you are already eating – and which ones you may want to add to your meals!
Just for Kids
Do you love strawberries? If so, you're not alone because we've learned that across the country and around the world, that strawberries are a favorite of kids! It might be because they are sweet and juicy - but did you know that they are really good for your body? They have all kinds of things in them (that you can't see) that can protect you from getting sick, and can help your brain and your heart!
Here are some facts about why strawberries are good for you - and other things you might want to know about them and can share with your friends.
Here are 10 fun facts about strawberries!
- One serving of strawberries has more vitamin C than an orange.
- The green “hat” that tops the strawberry is known as the calyx.
- Almost every strawberry that is eaten in the United States is hand-picked by someone in California.
- Strawberries, while considered a fruit, are technically a member of the rose family.
- Some people say that strawberries were named a long time ago by English children who picked the berries, strung them on grass straws and sold them as "Straws of Berries."
- Last year, almost 2 BILLION pounds of strawberries were harvested in California. Do you know what a billion pounds looks like?
- It’s estimated that if you lined up all the California strawberries produced throughout the year that they would circle the earth 15 times.
- In California, strawberries grow all year long, not just during the summer!
- Each strawberry has about 200 seeds and each of these yellow seeds is technically an individual fruit.
- Strawberries like to grow where people like to live - in weather that is not too cold and not too hot.