Come join us in the kitchen where we share tested recipes and expert tips for serving your family healthy meals every day!
Because of their health benefits, flavor and overall appeal, strawberries
add vibrant color to almost any kind of salad. Not only that, they can add depth and
sweetness to enhance more traditional salad dressings.
Select and Store
California strawberries are fully ripe at the time they are picked and do not continue to ripen after harvesting. Here are a few tips on how to make your berries last as long as possible.
1) Choose berries that have a bright red color, a natural shine and fresh looking green caps.
2) Strawberries should always be refrigerated and kept dry until just before serving.
3) With green stems still in tact, rinse berries under cool water.
4) After rinsing, gently blot dry.
5) Remove the green caps from the berries with a light twist or with the point of a knife.
- After rinsing, gently blot dry.
- Slice stem off at top of berry.
- Place cut side down on a cookie sheet lined with waxed paper.
- Place uncovered in freezer for 24 hours.
- Transfer strawberries to a freezer bag or container.
- Frozen strawberries can be stored frozen for several months.
Fresh California strawberries are most flavorful at room temperature. They can be enjoyed just as they are or sliced in cereals, salads and served with any meal, any time of day. For additional ways to serve strawberries, check out our recipe pages, our blog, or the California Strawberries Facebook page.