Blogs We Follow
When it comes to fruits and veggies, some rank higher than others when it comes to nutrient content. Find out what defines a true “superfruit” and why strawberries are highly recommended by health professionals as part of a healthy diet.
Select and Store
California strawberries are fully ripe at the time they are picked and do not continue to ripen after harvesting. Choose berries that have a bright red color, a natural shine and fresh looking green caps. Strawberries should always be refrigerated and kept dry until just before use. Leave green caps on and wash berries with a gentle spray of cool water. After washing, gently blot dry, and remove the green caps from the berries with a light twist or with the point of a knife.
- After rinsing, gently blot dry.
- Slice stem off at top of berry.
- Place cut side down on a cookie sheet lined with waxed paper.
- Place uncovered in freezer for 24 hours.
- Transfer strawberries to a freezer bag or container.
- Frozen strawberries can be stored frozen for several months.
Fresh California strawberries are most flavorful at room temperature. They can be enjoyed just as they are or sliced in cereals, salads and served with any meal, any time of day. For additional ways to serve strawberries, check out our recipes pages, free mobile recipe apps, or the California Strawberries Facebook page.