Roasted Pears with Strawberry Relish make for a delicious, fruit-based dessert loaded with natural sweetness, not added sugars like so many other dessert options. California strawberries shine in the slightly spicy cranberry-ginger relish that is the prefect topping for warm, buttery roasted pears.
Roasted Pears with Strawberry Relish
- 1 16 oz can whole-berry cranberry sauce
- 2/3 cup about 10 oz frozen whole strawberries, cut in half
- ½ cup chopped toasted pecans
- 1 Tbsp chopped crystallized ginger
- 1 tsp grated orange zest
- 4 firm ripe pears
- 1 Tbsp melted butter
To make Strawberry Relish
- In microwave, heat cranberry sauce in large Pyrex bowl for 2 minutes on high power, or heat in saucepan over low heat until warm.
- Stir in strawberries, pecans, ginger and orange zest. Keep warm.
To make Roasted Pears
- Peel pears; cut in half.
- With spoon, scoop out seeds and enough flesh to make a large cavity. Place pears on baking sheet, cut side up, and brush with butter. Turn pears over and brush with butter again.
- Place under broiler until pears start to brown; turn pears over with spatula and broil cut sides until they start to brown, about 4 minutes on each side.
- Remove from oven and fill cavity of each pear half with ¼ cup Strawberry Relish.