Believe it or not, this lovely Strawberry Basil Quinoa Salad was developed by a kid! Twelve-year-old Danielle McNerney took first place in the recent California Strawberry #KidsCookOff where mini chefs everywhere were challenged to create a five-ingredient strawberry recipe for a chance to win up to $500 in Amazon Gift Cards. Danielle’s recipe was so simple and tasty we couldn’t resist sharing with you.
It was a lot of fun checking out all the cute kids and their strawberry masterpieces – I wish they all could have won! The main judge, MasterChef Junior Season 3 Nathan Odom, made the final picks.
Strawberry Basil Quinoa Salad
- 1½ cups fresh strawberries sliced or chopped
- 1 cup dried quinoa cooked (makes about 3 cups)
- ¼ cup shelled pistachios chopped
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup fresh basil
- Salt and pepper to taste optional
- Crumbled feta cheese optional
- Prepare quinoa according to package directions; set aside.
- To flavor the olive oil with basil, in small pan, heat the olive oil and then sauté basil until crispy, about 4 minutes.
- Remove basil and let drain on paper towel.
- In mixing bowl, add all ingredients and gently stir.
- Garnish with crumbled fried basil leaves and feta cheese (optional)