These Homemade, Strawberry Cream-Filled Donuts by Foodness Gracious are made from scratch and filled with delicious strawberry and cream cheese filling!
Is it donuts or doughnuts? Who cares because when you make these homemade strawberry cream filled donuts, the last thing on your mind is what you want to call them. You just want to dive right in!
Making donuts at home is actually pretty easy, with time being the only thing you really have to be mindful of. With minimal ingredients and a whole host of fillings you could add. You might end up making a dozen on a slow weekend rather than running to the donut shop! Treat the dough gently and be careful with the hot oil and you should end up with donuts that would rival any large donut chain. Baked donuts are really good but there’s definitely no comparison to a soft, yeast-risen fried donut.
What is in the filling for the donuts?
For these homemade cream filled donuts, combine cream cheese and powdered sugar and then add some fresh strawberries that had been slowly simmered with sugar. Strawberries are naturally sweet but adding a little sugar and a sprinkle of water really helps to draw out the strawberry flavor, making the most intense strawberry syrup, and it’s that strawberry syrup that makes the filling in these donuts so irresistible!
Once the donuts have cooled and you’ve given them a good roll in some sugar, you can use any kitchen tool to poke a hole in the side of each donut. Fill a piping bag with the strawberry cream and push the tip into the hole. A quick squeeze and you should have added enough filling.
How long will my homemade strawberry cream filled donuts last?
Keep them for no longer than two days if they last that long and keeping them covered will maintain their softness.
- 1 envelop size active dry yeast
- 2 tbsp warm water
- 3¼ cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- ½ stick soft butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 quart vegetable oil
- 4 cups sliced California Strawberries
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1½ tbsp water
- 1 cup sugar
- 2, 8oz packs cream cheese at room temperature
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp strawberry jam
- In a bowl of a stand mixer combine the yeast and warm water
- Add the flour, milk, butter, vanilla, yolks and sugar
- Place the bowl on the mixer and mix on slow until the dough comes together to form a soft ball.
- Transfer the dough to a floured work surface and roll into a ball
- Place the dough into a bowl brushed with olive oil and cover with a towel
- Leave the bowl somewhere hot until the dough has doubled in size (about 1½ hours)
- Make the strawberry filling-
- Place the sliced strawberries in anon stick pan with the sugar and water and bring to a simmer
- Cook on low heat for about 10 minutes and the strawberries are soft then let cool in the fridge or freezer
- Place the soft cream cheese in the bowl of the mixer and beat together with the powdered sugar and strawberry jam
- Once the strawberries have cooled add about 1¼ cups of mostly the strawberries to the cream cheese.
- Mix on low speed until incorporated and store in the fridge while you finish the donuts.
- Once the dough has doubled dump it back out onto the table and divide it evenly into 15 pieces
- Roll each dough into a ball and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and dusted with flour
- Cover the donut balls with a towel and let rise again for at least 30 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a deep pot until 375 degrees F
- Carefully lift each donut from the pan and gently add to the hot oil, you should do three at a time to prevent crowding the pot.
- Cook in the oil for about 1 minute and then flip them over and repeat until they are golden brown.
- Lift the donuts from the pot and transfer to a sheet of paper towels to drain
- once all of the donuts have been cooked and are cool, roll them in the sugar.
- Poke a hole in the side of each donut.
- Fill a piping bag with some of the cream and fill each donut.
- Serve at once.