Is it donuts or doughnuts? Who cares because when you make these strawberry cream-filled donuts, the last thing on your mind is what you want to call them. You just want to dive right in! Check out this delicious recipe by Foodness Gracious.
Homemade Strawberry Cream-Filled Donuts
You can add this recipe to a collection to create a shopping list!Print Recipe Add to CollectionGo to Collections
- 1 envelope active dry yeast
- 2 Tbsp warm water
- 3 ¼ cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- ½ stick soft butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 quart vegetable oil
- 4 cups sliced California strawberries
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 ½ Tbsp water
- 1 cup sugar
- 16 oz cream cheese at room temperature
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsp strawberry jam
- In a bowl of a stand mixer, combine the yeast and warm water.
- Add the flour, milk, butter, vanilla, yolks and sugar. Mix on slow until the dough comes together to form a soft ball.
- Transfer the dough to a floured work surface and roll into a ball.
- Place the dough into a bowl brushed with olive oil and cover with a towel. Leave the bowl somewhere hot (such as on top of a pre-heated oven) until the dough has doubled in size (about 1½ hours).
- Place the sliced strawberries in a non-stick pan with the sugar and water and bring to a simmer.
- Cook on low heat for about 10 minutes until the strawberries are soft; then let cool in the fridge or freezer.
- Place the soft cream cheese in the bowl of the mixer and beat together with the powdered sugar and strawberry jam.
- Once the strawberries have cooled, add about 1¼ cups of the strawberries to the cream cheese. Mix on low speed until incorporated and store in the fridge while you finish the donuts.
- Once the dough has doubled in size, place it on the table and divide it evenly into 15 pieces.
- Roll each piece of dough into a ball and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and dusted with flour.
- Cover the donut balls with a towel and let rise again for at least 30 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a deep pot until 375°F. Carefully lift each donut from the baking sheet with tongs and gently add to the hot oil. You should cook 3 at a time to prevent crowding the pot.
- Cook in the oil for about 1 minute and then flip them over and repeat until they are golden brown.
- Lift the donuts from the pot and transfer to a sheet of paper towels to drain.
- Once all of the donuts have been cooked and are cool, roll them in the sugar.
- Poke a hole in the side of each donut with a skewer or long toothpick. Fill a piping bag with some of the cream and fill each donut. Serve immediately.