Homemade Strawberry Cream-Filled Donuts
You can add this recipe to a collection to create a shopping list!Print Recipe Add to CollectionGo to Collections
- 1 envelope active dry yeast
- 2 Tbsp warm water
- 3 ¼ cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- ½ stick soft butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 quart vegetable oil
- 4 cups sliced California strawberries
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 ½ Tbsp water
- 1 cup sugar
- 16 oz cream cheese at room temperature
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsp strawberry jam
- In a bowl of a stand mixer, combine the yeast and warm water.
- Add the flour, milk, butter, vanilla, yolks and sugar. Mix on slow until the dough comes together to form a soft ball.
- Transfer the dough to a floured work surface and roll into a ball.
- Place the dough into a bowl brushed with olive oil and cover with a towel. Leave the bowl somewhere hot (such as on top of a pre-heated oven) until the dough has doubled in size (about 1½ hours).
- Place the sliced strawberries in a non-stick pan with the sugar and water and bring to a simmer.
- Cook on low heat for about 10 minutes until the strawberries are soft; then let cool in the fridge or freezer.
- Place the soft cream cheese in the bowl of the mixer and beat together with the powdered sugar and strawberry jam.
- Once the strawberries have cooled, add about 1¼ cups of the strawberries to the cream cheese. Mix on low speed until incorporated and store in the fridge while you finish the donuts.
- Once the dough has doubled in size, place it on the table and divide it evenly into 15 pieces.
- Roll each piece of dough into a ball and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and dusted with flour.
- Cover the donut balls with a towel and let rise again for at least 30 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a deep pot until 375°F. Carefully lift each donut from the baking sheet with tongs and gently add to the hot oil. You should cook 3 at a time to prevent crowding the pot.
- Cook in the oil for about 1 minute and then flip them over and repeat until they are golden brown.
- Lift the donuts from the pot and transfer to a sheet of paper towels to drain.
- Once all of the donuts have been cooked and are cool, roll them in the sugar.
- Poke a hole in the side of each donut with a skewer or long toothpick. Fill a piping bag with some of the cream and fill each donut. Serve immediately.