We all know that fresh, plump California strawberries are wonderful on their own, but straight out of the oven they’re an entirely different level of delicious. This Jumbo Strawberry Muffin recipe by Jennifer at Savory Simple is a great on-the-go or anytime snack.
These muffins are a simple way to use up strawberries that, by some miracle, have not yet been eaten. Pro tip: chop up fresh strawberries and freeze them before using in this recipe to help keep juices in place while the muffins bake.
Jumbo Strawberry Muffin
- 2½ cups 10 oz all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp grated lemon zest
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup 7 oz granulated sugar
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter melted and cooled slightly
- 1¼ cups plain non-fat yogurt
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1½ cups fresh or frozen chopped California Strawberries
- Place an oven rack in the center position and preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a jumbo muffin pan with nonstick baking spray.
- Add the flour and zest to a large bowl, using clean fingers to press the zest into the flour and break up any clumps. Whisk in the baking powder and salt.
- In a medium bowl, vigorously whisk the egg until it has lightened in color slightly, then add the sugar and continue vigorously whisking until the mixture is thick and pale, approximately 30 seconds. Slowly whisk in the butter, then whisk in the yogurt and vanilla until smooth.
- Fold the wet ingredients into the dry until just combined. There shouldn’t be any big pockets of flour, but a few small streaks are okay. Gently fold in the strawberries.
- Divide the batter evenly between the muffin tins. Bake for 27 to 32 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through. The muffins are ready when a toothpick comes out clean and the tops are a light golden brown. Cool for at least 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack.