Check out this Strawberries and Cream French Toast Bake recipe and guest post from Kristen Doyle at Dine and Dish: The fall and winter entertaining seasons are upon us. If you are like our family, in the next couple of months you’ll have more overnight house guests than normal, and might be looking for some delicious, make ahead breakfast options to feed all those extra mouths. A strawberries & cream French toast recipe is the way to go.
Strawberries & Cream French Toast Bake
French Toast Bake
- 12 slices Texas Toast cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2, 8- oz packages cream cheese cut into ½ inch cubes
- 1 cup fresh California strawberries hulled and sliced
- 2 cups half and half
- 12 large eggs
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp vanilla
- 1 Tbsp cinnamon
Strawberry Cream Sauce
- 1 cup California strawberries hulled and chopped
- ½ cup orange juice
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ cup corn starch
- 3 Tbsp water
- ½ cup half-and-half
To make the French Toast Bake:
- Spray a 9x13 inch baking dish with cooking spray. Place half the bread cubes in the baking dish. Top with cream cheese cubes. Next, layer the sliced strawberries on top of the cream cheese, then place the remaining bread cubes over the strawberry layer.
- In the jar of a blender, add the half-and-half and eggs. Blend until fully mixed. Add the maple syrup, vanilla and cinnamon and blend until smooth. Pour mixture evenly over bread mixture.
- Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil and refrigerate 8 hours or overnight. After refrigerated time is up, preheat oven to 350°F. Bake, covered, for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for an additional 30-40 minutes, or until bread is toasty and cream cheese has melted.
To make the Strawberry Cream Sauce:
- While the French toast bake is cooking, place 1 cup strawberries, orange juice and sugar into a saucepan. Heat to a low boil.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk together corn starch and water until smooth. Stir into the saucepan and cook over low until strawberry sauce has thickened. Remove from heat and whisk in the half and half.
- Remove the French Toast Bake from the oven, cut into slices and serve topped with Strawberry Cream Sauce.