We’ve got you covered with Halloween treats! We partnered with The Sugar Coated Cottage to create these sweet strawberry cupcakes with ghostly swirls of marshmallow butter-cream. They’re the perfect Halloween treat!
Strawberry Ghost Cupcakes
Yield: 18 Cupcakes
You can add this recipe to a collection to create a shopping list!Print Recipe Add to CollectionGo to Collections
STRAWBERRY PUREE (cupcakes):
- 2 cups fresh California strawberries
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 ½ cups sifted cake flour
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 stick butter room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs room temperature
- ⅓ cup buttermilk room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup strawberry puree
- 1 ¼ cups unsalted butter room temp
- 8 oz marshmallow fluff
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- black sugar pearls
STRAWBERRY PUREE (for cupcakes):
- Place strawberries and sugar into medium saucepan over high heat.
- Mash strawberries as they begin to soften.
- Bring to a boil and then turn heat down to a simmer. Simmer for about 30 minutes, until reduced by half. Stir frequently and watch closely to avoid burning.
- Let cool completely.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line muffin tin(s) with liners.
- In large bowl, add the flour, baking powder and salt; mix to combine.
- Cream the butter.
- Add in the sugar and mix until light and fluffy.
- Add one egg at a time, beating in between each addition.
- Add the flour mixture and buttermilk, alternating each addition.
- Add vanilla and strawberry puree. Mix completely to combine.
- Pour batter into muffin cups, filling each muffin cup to ¾ full. Bake 25-30 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven; let cool completely.
- Cream butter until pale yellow.
- Add in the marshmallow cream and vanilla and continue mixing.
- With mixer on low, add the powdered sugar one spoonful at a time.
- Take cooled cupcakes out of muffin tin.
- Fill piping bag with buttercream. For piping the ghosts, use a large round tip (the one used here was Ateco #808).
- Pipe each cupcake with buttercream to create “ghost.” Pipe a large dollop onto the cupcake, followed by a medium dollop, and then a small dollop to form the ghost.
- With tweezers or fingers, gently place the sugar pearls on each ghost for the eyes and mouth.
- Store in cool dry place.
Serving: 1 cupcake | Calories: 405kcal | Carbohydrates: 59g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 19g | Saturated Fat: 11g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 68mg | Sodium: 99mg | Sugar: 45g