We love this pumpkin patch cake created by Sugar & Charm, made with California strawberries! It’s a rich and creamy chocolate pumpkin cake, topped with chocolate ganache and juicy California strawberries! The strawberries are dipped in orange candy melts to create mini strawberry pumpkins. We placed them on the cake and used mint to make it look like the most delicious pumpkin patch. Super easy to make and even cuter to serve!
Chocolate Pumpkin Patch Cake
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 6 ounces buttermilk
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 3 large eggs
- Chocolate Ganache Frosting
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 16 ounces semi sweet or bitter sweet chocolate morsels
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pumpkin Patch Cake
- 12 California Strawberries
- 1 bag orange candy melts
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Handful of mint with stem and leaves attached or another herb with stem and leaves will work
Use this recipe OR one box of chocolate cake and then make the chocolate ganache frosting which is only 3 ingredients! It’s up to you!
Chocolate Pumpkin Cake
- Add all of the dry ingredients in a bowl, lightly whisk and set aside.
- Add all of the liquid ingredients, including the eggs in a liquid measuring cup and set aside.
- In an electric mixing bowl, add the dry ingredients and with the mixer on low, slowly pour in the liquid ingredients.
- Mix on low-medium speed until incorporated.
- Pour into a 9 x13 baking pan.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 20 minutes.
- Let the cake cool before frosting.
Chocolate Ganache Frosting
- In a double broiler, add the heavy cream and the chocolate morsels and whisk until smooth.
- Add in the vanilla extract and continue to whisk until all of the chocolate is melted.
- Let the ganache cool slightly before frosting the cake.
Pumpkin Patch Cake
- In a microwave safe bowl, melt the candy melts for 40 seconds.
- Stir with a fork until the candy melts are fully melted.
- If they need more time heat again for 15 seconds.
- Add in the vegetable oil and stir until smooth.
- Dip in a red strawberry and coat the entire strawberry in candy melt.
- Let the strawberry sit on parchment paper to harden.
- Repeat this step 12 times.
- Add the rest of the melted candy into a piping bag and cut a tiny hole at the bottom.
- Pipe lines on the covered strawberry to make it look like a pumpkin.
- Place the strawberries on the cake and add mint stems and leaves to make it look like the pumpkins are connected.