We love this pumpkin patch cake created by Sugar & Charm! It’s a rich pumpkin cake, topped with chocolate ganache and juicy California strawberries! The strawberries are dipped in orange candy melts to create mini pumpkins that are placed on the cake with mint to create a most delicious “pumpkin patch.” Super easy to make and even cuter to serve!
Chocolate Pumpkin Patch Cake
You can add this recipe to a collection to create a shopping list!Print Recipe Add to CollectionGo to Collections
- 1 ½ cup flour
- 1 ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp pumpkin pie spice
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 1 ½ cup sugar
- 6 oz buttermilk
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 3 large eggs
Chocolate Ganache Frosting
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 16 oz semi-sweet or bittersweet chocolate morsels
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 bag orange candy melts
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 12 California Strawberries
- Handful of mint with stem and leaves attached or another herb with stem and leaves will work
- Add all of the dry ingredients to an electric mixer bowl, lightly whisk and set aside.
- Combine all of the liquid ingredients, including the eggs, in a liquid measuring cup and set aside.
- With the mixer on low, slowly pour in the liquid ingredients to combine with the dry ingredients. Mix on low-medium speed until incorporated.
- Pour into a greased 9"x13" baking pan.
- Bake in a preheated 350°F oven for 20 minutes.
- Let the cake cool before frosting.
Chocolate Ganache Frosting
- In a double boiler, add the heavy cream and the chocolate morsels and whisk until smooth. (*see note)
- Add in the vanilla extract and continue to whisk until all of the chocolate is melted.
- Let the ganache cool slightly before frosting the cake.
Pumpkin Patch Cake
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt the candy melts for 40 seconds.
- Stir with a fork until the candy melts are fully melted. If they need more time heat again for 15 seconds.
- Add in the vegetable oil and stir until smooth.
- Dip in a strawberry and coat entirely in candy melt. Let the strawberry sit on parchment paper to harden. Repeat this step 12 times.
- Add the rest of the melted candy into a piping bag and cut a tiny hole at the bottom.
- Pipe lines on the covered strawberry to make it look like a pumpkin.
- Place the strawberries on the cake and add mint stems and leaves to make it look like the pumpkins are connected.
Use this recipe OR one box of chocolate cake and then make the chocolate ganache frosting which is only 3 ingredients! It’s up to you! *If you don't have a double boiler, you can boil water in a pot and place a large bowl on top to safely melt the chocolate.