Strawberries, rhubarb, and oranges are the stars of this impressive float! This indulgent Strawberry Rhubarb Parfloat snack is so much more than the ice cream float of your childhood. This grown-up version combines fruits AND a vegetable (never could’ve snuck that past your 10 year old self), and has the sophisticated, subtle peppery flavor of basil syrup. Plus, there’s the added benefit of over 100% of your daily value of vitamin C. Enjoy!
Strawberry Rhubarb Parfloat
Yield: 6 servings
You can add this recipe to a collection to create a shopping list!Print Recipe Add to CollectionGo to Collections
- 2 lbs rhubarb trimmed and cut into 5-inch pieces
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 oranges
- 3 cups skim milk
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- ¾ tsp light corn syrup
- ¼ vitamin C powder
- ¾ cup Thai or Italian basil leaves loosely packed
- ½ lb fresh California strawberries stemmed and diced
- 1½ pints vanilla bean ice cream
- 1½ cups seltzer
- 6 basil sprigs
To make Rhubarb Syrup:
- In heavy-bottomed saucepan, heat rhubarb and sugar with 2 tablespoons water over low heat, covered, about 10 minutes or until rhubarb is soft, stirring occasionally.
- Strain syrup through fine strainer or colander lined with cheesecloth. Refrigerate.
To make Orange Milk:
- Remove zest (orange part of skin) from oranges with vegetable peeler.
- In saucepan, heat milk and zest to just below boil; remove from heat and steep, covered, 1 hour. Strain; add sugar. Refrigerate.
To make Basil Syrup:
- In saucepan, simmer sugar, corn syrup and vitamin C with 1/2 cup water until slightly thickened. Cool.
- In blender, purée syrup with basil and pinch of salt; strain through fine strainer. Refrigerate.
- Sweeten strawberries with sugar to taste.
- For each serving, in chilled 16-ounce glass, layer 1/4 cup Rhubarb Syrup, 2 tablespoons diced strawberries, two 1/4-cup scoops ice cream, 1/2 cup Orange Milk, and 2 more tablespoons diced strawberries. Add 1/4 cup seltzer; drizzle with 2 tablespoons Basil Syrup. Garnish with 1 basil sprig.
Serving: 1g | Calories: 846kcal | Carbohydrates: 162g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Trans Fat: 0.5g | Cholesterol: 87mg | Sodium: 123mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 152g