When it comes to power food combos, nothing beats strawberries and chocolate. Although dipping strawberries in melted chocolate is a delicious (and foolproof!) way to enjoy this food pairing, I thought it’d be fun to create a recipe that incorporated a few other foods that my kids and I enjoy eating, like pudding, graham crackers, and yogurt. So Chocolate Strawberry Crunch Parfaits were a great option!
Since I’m not a great baker and I don’t have time to craft intricate recipes, I decided to keep it simple and just add a bunch of juicy, seasonal and nutrient-rich California strawberries into a beautiful parfait. Like the character, Donkey, from the movie Shrek said, “You know what everybody likes? Parfaits. Parfaits are delicious!” I agree! Not only are parfaits delicious, they are simple to make and look beautiful when served in clear glasses.
In my Chocolate Pudding Crunch Parfaits, I took sugar free instant chocolate pudding mix, added milk, creamy and protein-rich Greek yogurt, and a bit of whipped topping, then folded in a bowl of diced strawberries. I took this rich pudding mix and layered it over crumbles of chocolate graham crackers and sliced, sweet strawberries. How can this dessert get any better? Shavings of dark chocolate over the whole thing, that’s how!
If you’re wondering how this recipe is healthy, you can rest easy knowing that in each parfait, you’re not only getting a dose of bone-building calcium from milk and yogurt in the pudding, you’re also getting at least one serving of fruit. That’s right! Between the diced strawberries in the pudding and the sliced ones between the crunchy grahams and creamy pudding, you are getting your #8aDay of strawberries. Here are three health highlights about this sweet superfood:
- One serving of eight strawberries has more vitamin C than an orange, which has 140% of the recommended daily value (RDI). (USDA 2017. National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference)
- A 2012 study published in the Annals of Neurology suggests that eating strawberries more than twice a week appears to delay cognitive aging by up to 2.5 years.
- The American Diabetes Association identifies berries, including strawberries, as one of their Top 10 Diabetes Superfoods because of they have a low glycemic index and because they are packed with cancer fighting antioxidants and dietary fiber.
Have the kids help you assemble these Chocolate Pudding Crunch Parfaits for a special dessert or impress your friends at your next gathering by serving them in pretty, stemless wine glasses. Whatever the occasion (or the excuse!), enjoy!
- 1 (1.4 ounce) package sugar-free chocolate instant pudding mix
- 2 cups skim milk
- 5.3 ounces plain Greek yogurt
- ½ cup whipped topping
- 2 cups California strawberries, diced
- 16 strawberries, sliced (save 4 for garnish)
- 4 sheets (about ¾ cup) chocolate graham crackers, crushed
- 1 tablespoon dark chocolate shavings
- Whisk first 2 ingredients in a large bowl until blended and smooth. Fold in yogurt and whipped topping. Chill in refrigerator for about 10 minutes or until firm. Gently fold strawberries into pudding mix. Set aside.
- Spoon about 1 tablespoon graham cracker crumbles into each glass. Top crumbles with a layer of sliced strawberries, then add about ¼ cup of pudding. Repeat layers.
- Top the second layer of pudding with a dollop of whipped topping, a single strawberry and chocolate shavings.
- Serve immediately or chill for about 10 minutes.
This post was created by Christy Wilson from christywilsonnutrition.com.