We’re used to tossing strawberries into our shopping carts, but new research shows that America’s favorite fruit may also keep us at our healthiest. Since November is both American Diabetes Month and National Alzheimer’s Disease Awareness Month, we thought we’d share the good news that eating strawberries regularly can be an effective way to help prevent and manage diseases that affect millions of Americans and their families.
New research conducted at the USDA Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging at Tufts suggests that dietary intervention with strawberry fruit may be an effective means of combating age-related cognitive decline. And that’s not all. Research also shows strawberries can play a role in management and prevention when it comes to diabetes as well. Harvard University researchers unveiled this year at the American Diabetes Association’s 75th Scientific Session the results of a Women’s Health Study showing that compared to women who rarely or never ate strawberries, those who ate strawberries at least once a month had a lower risk for developing diabetes.
Because of the many benefits that strawberries provide, health professionals and dietitians recommend eating strawberries regularly, as part of a healthy diet. To see how many different ways you can add strawberries to your meals, visit www.californiastrawberries.com, and be sure to check out the video of dietitian Regan Jones from Healthy Aperture as she prepares healthy Strawberry Turkey Pinwheels that the whole family will love!
- 2 fresh California strawberries
- 1 piece of 100% whole wheat or other whole grain bread (choose a wide loaf for best results)
- ½ Tbsp goat cheese, at room temperature (may substitute ⅓-less-fat cream cheese, if preferred)
- 1 thin slice low-sodium roasted turkey breast
- 2 to 3 spinach leaves
- Trim ends off of strawberries; cut into pieces and mash with a fork.
- Trim short ends of bread slice. Spread goat cheese over half of bread slice; layer with mashed strawberries, turkey and spinach leaves.
- Starting with the short side of the bread, carefully roll up bread and press firmly firmly with hands.
- Trim ends of roll and slice into 4 pinwheels.