A Vietnamese Spring Rolls Recipe with a California Strawberries twist!
These spring rolls with strawberries are a refreshing change from the usual fried variety and are a wonderfully healthy appetizer.
- ½ cup (about 2 ounces) sliced stemmed California strawberries
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp Asian sesame oil
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp Vietnamese fish sauce
- ½ tsp chili flakes
- ¾ lb cooked shelled shrimp
- ¾ tsp seasoned rice vinegar
- 8 spring roll wrappers
- 16 mint leaves
- 16 cilantro sprigs
- ¾ cup (about 3 ounces) quartered stemmed California strawberries
- 1 cup peeled, seeded cucumber cut into 2 x ¼ x ⅛-inch strips
- To make Strawberry Dipping Sauce, in blender or food processor, purée strawberries, vinegar, oil, sugar, and fish sauce until smooth. Add chili flakes; blend until chili flakes are mixed in but still visible. To make Spring Rolls, in bowl, toss shrimp with vinegar; set aside.
- Dip 1 wrapper into very hot water for a few seconds until soft and flexible; blot on towel to remove excess water. Place 2 mint leaves, 2 cilantro sprigs, 3 pieces strawberry, 3 shrimp and 3 cucumber strips in a line down the center of wrapper. Fold bottom over filling, fold in sides and roll up into tight cylinder. Repeat with remaining ingredients to make 8 rolls.
- Serve each roll with 1 tablespoon strawberry Dipping Sauce. Makes 8 spring rolls.
Diabetes Exchanges: Starch 0.5, Fruit 0.25, Very Lean Meat 1.5, Fat 0.5
If you liked this Vietnamese Spring Rolls Recipe, click the share button below!