Strawberry Oat Bars
You can add this recipe to a collection to create a shopping list!Print Recipe Add to CollectionGo to Collections
- 1¼ cup old-fashioned oats
- 1½ cup whole wheat pastry flour
- ¾ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp salt
- 5 Tbsp unsalted butter cut into pieces
- 1 large egg
- 3 Tbsp canola oil
- 1/4 cup chopped raw cashews or other nuts
- 5 cups sliced strawberries
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 6 Tbsp sugar
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Lightly coat a 9x13 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Place the oats, whole wheat pastry flour, cinnamon and salt in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until the oats are finely ground. Add the butter and pulse until the mixture forms large crumbs.
- In a bowl, whisk together the egg and canola oil. With the motor running, slowly pour the egg mixture into the food processor. Process until the mixture starts to stick together. Transfer ¾ cup of the mixture to a bowl and stir in the nuts. Set aside for the topping. Press the remaining mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan to form a crust.
- In a large bowl, combine the strawberries, sugar, cornstarch and lemon juice. Spread the strawberry mixture evenly over the crust. Sprinkle the reserved nut mixture over top. Bake until the topping is starting to brown and the fruit is bubbling, 40 to 45 minutes. Let cool on a rack, then transfer to the fridge for 30 minutes (this will help with cutting and serving the bars). Cut into 24 pieces.