Strawberry Oat Bars
You can add this recipe to a collection to create a shopping list!Print Recipe Add to CollectionGo to Collections
- 1¼ cup old-fashioned oats
- 1½ cup whole wheat pastry flour
- ¾ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp salt
- 5 Tbsp unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1 large egg
- 3 Tbsp canola oil
- ¼ cup chopped raw cashews (or other nuts)
- 5 cups sliced strawberries
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Lightly coat a 9x13 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Place the oats, whole wheat pastry flour, cinnamon and salt in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until the oats are finely ground. Add the butter and pulse until the mixture forms large crumbs.
- In a bowl, whisk together the egg and canola oil. With the motor running, slowly pour the egg mixture into the food processor. Process until the mixture starts to stick together.
- Transfer ¾ cup of the mixture to a bowl and stir in the nuts. Set aside for the topping.
- Press the remaining mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan to form a crust.
- In a large bowl, combine the strawberries, sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice, and vanilla. Spread the strawberry mixture evenly over the crust.
- Sprinkle the reserved nut mixture over top. Bake until the topping is starting to brown and the fruit is bubbling, 40 to 45 minutes.
- Let cool on a rack, then transfer to the fridge for 30 minutes (this will help with cutting and serving the bars). Cut into 24 pieces.