This is a nice twist on a classic strawberry shortcake. The mascarpone topping pairs well with the flavors of the bourbon. Made with fresh California Strawberries, this dessert will not disappoint!
Bourbon Mint Julep Strawberry Shortcake with Mascarpone Topping
You can add this recipe to a collection to create a shopping list!Print Recipe Add to CollectionGo to Collections
- 3 cups cake flour
- 1½ cups sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1 cup 2 sticks unsalted butter
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs
Bourbon Butter Sauce
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter
- 3 Tbsp water
- 1 Tbsp fresh mint finely chopped
- 1 tsp lime or lemon zest
- 2 tsp bourbon whiskey
- 1 cup mascarpone cheese
- 8 oz Mascarpone cheese
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1/2 cup cream
- 4 cups strawberries sliced
- 4 Tbsp sugar
To make Shortcake:
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.Grease and flour a 9 x 13-inch baking pan.
- Whisk together flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, and baking soda in a large bowl.
- In a separate smaller bowl, combine buttermilk, butter, vanilla extract, eggs, and beat at low speed.
- Add wet ingredients to flour mixture. Beat at low speed for 1 minute, then increase to medium speed until combined – don’t over beat the batter. Pour into prepared pan and smooth evenly around pan. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes. Use a toothpick to test for doneness.
To make Bourbon Butter Sauce:
- In a saucepan over medium heat, combine powder sugar, butter, water,lemon zest and mint. Stir until melted. Do not boil. Remove from heat, continuing to stir for 2 minutes. Then stir in bourbon.
- When cake is done and still warm from the oven, use a skewer to poke holes around the top of the cake. Pour bourbon butter sauce evenly over top of the cake. Let cake cool to room temperature.
To make Mascarpone Topping:
- Combine mascarpone cheese, sugar, and whipping cream. Beat until smooth.
To make Filling:
- Combine strawberries and sugar and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, or until juices are released.
- Slice cake in the pan or use 3 to 4-inch circles for round servings.
- In a serving dish add a dollop of mascarpone topping, place cake, top with strawberries and more mascarpone topping. Garnish with a fresh mint leaf.