~by Regan Jones, RD of HealthyAperture.com
One of the best things about family gatherings is all the fabulous food. One of the worst things about family gatherings is all the fabulous food. Surely you know what I mean? That first time you bite into something amazing you haven’t tasted since last time around, you stop to savor every bite. But by the time the end of the party rolls around, you’re wondering if someone will have to roll you out the door! Family gatherings can be especially stressful for people watching what they eat to manage diabetes. So many cakes, cookies and appetizers that don’t seem to fit for a healthy diet. That’s one of the reasons I’ve teamed up with my friends here at California Strawberries in honor of Diabetes Awareness Month to provide simple #strawberryswaps for an easy brie appetizer recipe that would normally be a no-no during holiday celebrations. Today’s swap is a fun, less frivolous twist on a classic baked brie recipe. You know the one, right? Brie is coated in a thick, sugary fruit preserve mixture and then wrapped in puff pastry. It’s a deliciously easy brie appetizer, yes, but not exactly on the lighter side for healthy entertaining. A fruit and cheese tray would certainly be a simple, healthy swap to replace classic baked brie, but I’ve got something a bit more special — Strawberry Topped Brie.
Easy Brie Strawberry Swap
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- ½ cup chopped onion
- ½ tsp dried rosemary
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup California Strawberries sliced
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup orange juice
- 1 tbsp strawberry preserves
- 1 round of brie at room temperature or warmed slightly
- Crackers and crostini
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and saute 5 minutes or until tender. Sprinkle with rosemary and salt; cook an additional 2 minutes. Add strawberries and saute 2 more minutes. Add in vinegar, orange juice and preserves, stirring well and cooking until thickened (about 10 minutes).
- Place brie on a small plate; remove strawberry mixture from stove and pour over brie. Serve with crackers or crostini.