Grilled strawberries? Black pepper ice cream? These flavors might seem a bit unconventional to you but trust us, you’re going to love them! Preparing strawberries on the grill brings out a whole new flavor profile that is both savory and subtly sweet, and adding black pepper to the vanilla ice cream will pair perfectly. Grilled Strawberries and Black Pepper Ice Cream makes such an easy yet sophisticated snack or dessert that would make an excellent addition to your next cook-out. Friends and family will definitely be impressed!
Grilled Strawberries & Black Pepper Ice Cream
You can add this recipe to a collection to create a shopping list!Print Recipe Add to CollectionGo to Collections
Black Pepper Ice Cream
- 1½ pints premium vanilla ice cream
- 1½ Tbsp medium ground black pepper
- ½ cup ruby port
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 2 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch salt
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 12 fresh rosemary skewers
- 24 fresh California strawberries stemmed and halved
To make Black Pepper Ice Cream:
- Place ice cream in refrigerator for about 30 minutes or until slightly softened. Gently stir in pepper. Place in freezer until firm.
To make Port Syrup:
- In saucepan, simmer port and sugar until reduced to 1/3 cup. Chill.
To make Cocoa Wafers:
- Cream sugar and butter. Mix in cocoa, vanilla and salt; when smooth, mix in flour just until incorporated. If needed, add up to 2 teaspoons of water to make firm but pliable dough.
- Form dough into a flat disc between 2 pieces of plastic wrap; chill.
- Roll chilled dough between 2 pieces of plastic wrap to 3/8-inch thickness. With sharp knife or cookie cutter, cut into leaf shapes about 3 inches long. Place on parchment-lined sheet pan. Bake in 325°F oven 10 to 12 minutes or just until set; wafers will firm as they cool.
To grill strawberries:
- Strip leaves from rosemary skewers, leaving 2 to 3 inches of leaves at the top. Thread 4 strawberries halves onto each skewer.
- Grill skewers, cut sides down, about 4 minutes or until grill marks form.
- For each serving, place one 1/2-cup scoop Black Pepper Ice Cream in chilled glass; spear 2 skewers into ice cream. Spoon 1 tablespoon Port Syrup onto ice cream. Garnish with 2 Cocoa Wafers.