This is a lighter version of a typical Mexican dessert. The plantains are pan-fried instead of deep-fried and served with a homemade strawberry chia jam. Recipe by Alejandra of Brown Sugar and Vanilla.
Plantains with Strawberry Chia Jam
You can add this recipe to a collection to create a shopping list!Print Recipe Add to Collection
For the strawberry chia jam:
- 2 cups diced strawberries hulled and stemmed
- 1 Tbsp chia seeds
- ½ tsp vanilla
- ¼ cup of sugar
- ½ cup of water
For the plantains:
- 3 very large ripe plantains
- 2 Tbsp oil
- 1- 14 oz condensed milk or coconut condensed milk
- Strawberry chia jam
To Make the Strawberry Chia Jam:
- Add the strawberries, chia seeds, vanilla, sugar, and water to a sauce pan and cook over low heat for 10 to 15 minutes. Mix frequently. The jam will thicken slowly. When you see the bottom of the pan, turn it off, set aside, and let it cool completely.
To Make the Plantains:
- Peel the plantains and cut them in half from top to bottom. Heat the oil in a non-stick pan and add the plantains. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes and flip.
- Serve the plantains on a platter, drizzle with condensed milk and finish with some spoonfuls of strawberry chia jam.