Spring Strawberry Layer Cake
You can add this recipe to a collection to create a shopping list!Print Recipe Add to CollectionGo to Collections
- Stand mixer, paddle attachment, rotating cake stand, piping bag/tips/coupler, two 8-inch cake pans
- 2 1/2 cups cake flour
- 1 1/2 tsp aluminum-free baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter; room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs; room temperature
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk; room temperature
- 1/2 cup plain fat-free Greek yogurt; room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 2 cups unsalted butter at room temperature
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 5 cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup thinly sliced fresh strawberries
- 1 cup fresh strawberries
- Preheat oven to 350°F and spray two 8-inch round cake pans with nonstick spray. Line the bottom of the cake pans with parchment paper.
- Whisk together cake flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl.
- Beat butter and sugar in a large mixer bowl at medium speed until light and fluffy; beat in vanilla. Add eggs one at a time and beat until combined.
- Combine buttermilk and Greek yogurt in a small bowl. Reduce speed to low and add flour mixture in 3 additions, alternating with buttermilk mixture (begin and end with flour mixture).
- Divide batter evenly between cake pans and smooth with an offset spatula. Tap pans sharply to reduce air bubbles.
- Bake cake layers for 24 to 25 minutes, until the top and edges are golden, cakes spring back to the touch, and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or with a few crumbs attached.
- Cool cakes for 15 minutes in pans on a wire rack before inverting onto wire racks to cool completely.
- For the strawberry frosting, combine sliced strawberries and sugar in a saucepan.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly with a spatula and pressing firmly on berries to release juices.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 8 to 9 minutes, stirring frequently, until reduced and thickened.
- Transfer strawberry puree to a bowl and chill for 1 hour.
- Beat butter and salt in a large mixing bowl on medium speed until light and fluffy. Add the vanilla.
- Add in powdered sugar on low speed 1 cup at a time until incorporated, scraping down bowl as needed. Gradually mix in 4 tablespoons of strawberry puree until combined.
- Increase speed to medium-high and beat frosting for 1 minute, until light and airy.
- To assemble the cake, place one cake layer on a rotating cake stand and use an offset spatula to swirl frosting over the cake.
- Pipe a ring of frosting around the outer edge of the cake layer and chill the layer for 10 minutes.
- Fill the center of the cake layer with 1 cup of thinly sliced strawberries.
- Spread a thin layer of frosting on the second cake layer and place the layer (frosting side down) over the strawberries.
- Chill the stacked cake for 20 minutes.
- Use offset spatula to apply a layer of frosting to the top and sides of the cake while you rotate the cake stand, then use a bench scraper to gently smooth the edges of the cake and remove any excess frosting.
- If desired, pipe remaining frosting decoratively on the top cake layer.
- Chill the frosted cake for 30 minutes before serving. Top with fresh strawberries.