We’re loving this Strawberry Avocado Farro Salad from registered dietitian Kaleigh McMordie! It uses strawberries in a lunch or side dish that’s so satisfying. Not only are strawberries delicious, there are so many health benefits that strawberries offer. One serving of eight strawberries provides 140 percent of the total recommended daily value of vitamin C. Paired with whole grains, herbs and avocado, this strawberry salad will be your new favorite way to get in eight strawberries a day. Try it with grilled chicken or steak for a heartier meal. Enjoy!
Strawberry Avocado Farro Salad
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Total Time 40 minutes
Servings 4 -6
- 1 cup uncooked farro
- 2½ cups water or vegetable stock
- ½ lb California strawberries hulled and sliced
- 1 ripe avocado diced
- ½ cup fresh basil leaves
- 2 oz goat cheese crumbled
- 2 Tbsp blush wine vinegar or red wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1½ tsp honey
- Pinch sea salt
- Pinch freshly cracked black pepper
- In a medium saucepan, bring water or stock to a boil. Add farro and simmer; cover 25–30 minutes. Remove from heat and drain any remaining liquid. Let farro cool completely.
- Add cooled farro to a large bowl with sliced California strawberries, diced avocado, basil leaves and crumbled goat cheese.
- In a small bowl, whisk together remaining ingredients (vinegar through pepper). Pour over farro salad. Gently toss to coat. Serve or refrigerate until ready to serve.