These Strawberry Crepes with Dulce de Leche and Orange Liqueur by Yvette at Muy Bueno will definitely have you wanting seconds! We think these would make the perfect dessert to share with friends and family.
Did you know? Crepes originated in France in the 12th century and were traditionally made using buckwheat flour. White flour is the more popular choice today.
Strawberry Crepes with Dulce de Leche & Orange Liqueur
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup 2% milk
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 cup orange liqueur optional
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter melted
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 pint 2 cups fresh strawberries, sliced
Dulce de Leche & Orange Liqueur
- ½ cup dulce de leche
- ¼ cup orange liqueur
To make Strawberry Crepes:
- In a large mixing bowl whisk the eggs, water, milk, vanilla, and orange liqueur. Add the melted butter and mix well. Add the flour, cinnamon, salt and stir. Refrigerate and let the batter rest for at least 30 minutes or overnight. The flour changes composition as it rests.
- Heat a shallow nonstick pan over medium heat. If using a stainless pan swipe the cooking surface with an oiled paper towel. This may be necessary only for the first crepe, but repeat between crepes if required.
- Pour ¼ cup of batter (depending size desired and pan diameter) on the hot pan and immediately swirl the batter to cover the cooking surface evenly. The batter will cook quickly. Lift the crepe, as the batter loses its wet look, and check the browning on the underside. If nicely golden, flip the crepe with a broad silicone spatula. Cook the second side for 30 seconds to 1 minute. (The second side will not show the lovely brown makings like the first side and that’s ok).
- Remove the cooked crepe to a waiting dinner plate and allow to cool thoroughly before stacking the next crepe. Use two plates if needed to alternate the cooling process.
- Top each crepe with strawberry slices and drizzle with the warm dulce de leche mixture. Roll up; drizzle with more dulce de leche.
To make Dulce de Leche & Orange Liqueur:
- Place the dulce de leche and orange liqueur in a saucepan and heat over a low flame, stirring constantly, until hot. Remove from heat.