Bite-sized desserts are so much fun! These Mini Creamy Strawberry Empanadas by dietitian Sylvia Klinger of Hispanic Food Communications, Inc. make the perfect bite-sized treat. While empanadas are traditionally filled with savory ingredients, this sweet variation shows just how versatile these pastry turnovers can be.
Mini Creamy Strawberry Empanadas
- ½ to 1 cup low fat milk
- 1 tsp orange zest
- ¼ stick cinnamon
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1¾ Tbsp corn starch
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup California strawberries diced
- 1 package frozen empanada disks thawed or 2 refrigerated pie crusts
- 1 large egg white - mixed egg white with 1 tsp water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium sauce pan, bring milk, orange zest and cinnamon stick to a slow simmer over medium heat, watching the milk carefully so it doesn’t scorch or boil over. Simmer for 10 minutes; remove cinnamon stick and zest and reduce the heat down to low.
- In a small bowl, mix together the egg yolk, sugar, cornstarch and vanilla in a small bowl. Add 1 tablespoon of hot milk into the egg mixture, stirring constantly. Repeat with another tablespoon milk. Add the egg mixture to the milk and whisk over low heat constantly until the mixture begins to thicken, about 2 minutes. It should be the consistency of creamy pudding. Allow mixture to cool to room temperature for 30 minutes before using. Once cool add the strawberries.
- Roll each crust unto a flat surface. Fill each circle with about 1 tablespoon of cooled filling. Carefully fold the dough in half, taking care to keep the filling inside the pocket. Press the edges shut and then seal using the tines of a fork. Brush with egg white mixture.
- On a medium size cookie sheet, place the sealed empanadas and bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm or at room temperature.