Bite-sized desserts are so much fun! These Mini Creamy Strawberry Empanadas by dietitian Sylvia Klinger of Hispanic Food Communications, Inc. make the perfect bite-sized treat. While empanadas are traditionally filled with savory ingredients, this sweet variation shows just how versatile these pastry turnovers can be.
Mini Creamy Strawberry Empanadas
Yield: 10 empanadas
You can add this recipe to a collection to create a shopping list!Print Recipe Add to CollectionGo to Collections
- ½ to 1 cup low-fat milk
- 1 tsp orange zest
- ¼ stick cinnamon
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1¾ Tbsp corn starch
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup strawberries, diced
- 1 package frozen empanada disks, thawed or 2 refrigerated pie crusts
- 1 large egg white mixed with 1 tsp water
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a medium saucepan, bring milk, orange zest and cinnamon stick to a slow simmer over medium heat, watching the milk carefully so it doesn’t scorch or boil over. Simmer for 10 minutes; remove cinnamon stick and zest and reduce the heat down to low.
- In a small bowl, mix together the egg yolk, sugar, corn starch, and vanilla in a small bowl. Add 1 tablespoon of hot milk into the egg mixture, stirring constantly. Repeat with another tablespoon of milk.
- Add the egg mixture to the milk and whisk over low heat constantly until the mixture begins to thicken, about 2 minutes. It should be the consistency of creamy pudding.
- Allow mixture to cool to room temperature for 30 minutes before using. Once cool add the strawberries.
- Roll each crust on to a flat surface. Fill each circle with about 1 tablespoon of cooled filling. Carefully fold the dough in half, taking care to keep the filling inside the pocket. Press the edges shut and then seal using the tines of a fork. Brush with egg white mixture.
- Place the sealed empanadas on a medium-sized cookie sheet and bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Serving: 1 empanada | Calories: 199kcal | Carbohydrates: 23g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 20mg | Sodium: 160mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin C: 9mg