These Strawberry Whoopie Pies are such a fun treat to make for family and friends.
It is generally accepted that whoopie pies originated in New England, where they are a Pennsylvania Amish tradition. Traditionally, they were made with vegetable shortening and not butter, and the two soft cookies were made of leftover batter. While the most common combination is a chocolate cookie with creamy white filling, there are lots of other unique variations to try.
Strawberry Whoopie Pies
You can add this recipe to a collection to create a shopping list!Print Recipe Add to Collection
- 15 oz box yellow cake mix*
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup unsalted butter softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup strawberries washed and diced
To make Cookies:
- In a large bowl, mix the box cake, eggs and oil to create a gooey batter. Roll into balls and place on a cookie sheet a couple of inches apart. Bake according to box cake package directions. Remove from oven and let cool.
To make Strawberry Filling:
- In another large bowl, beat butter until creamy. Add powdered sugar and vanilla and beat until fluffy. Add the diced strawberries and fold with a spatula until well incorporated.
To assemble Whoopie Pies:
- Take one cookie and top with filling. Add strawberry slices and top with another cookie to create the whoopie sandwich.
Nutrition information calculated based on a 12 pie yield.