When it comes to strawberry salad, we always want more! Have you tried your salads with grilled romaine? Charring the romaine leaves enhances the flavor, making this salad from Gerry Speirs at Foodness Gracious a stand out.
Strawberry Salad with Grilled Romaine and Cotija Cheese
- ½ cup sour cream
- 3 Tbsp lemon juice
- ½ cup cilantro chopped
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- 1 pinch salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 4 slices salami sliced to bacon thickness
- 1 head romaine lettuce
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- Black pepper
- 1 cup ripe California Strawberries
- ½ avocado
- 1 Tbsp fresh chopped oregano
- ½ Tbsp fresh chopped cilantro
- ½ cup crumbled Cotija cheese
- Whisk together the sour cream, lemon juice, cilantro, cumin, salt and pepper to make the dressing and set aside.
- Roughly chop the salami and sauté in a pan until crispy. Transfer to some paper towel to drain.
- Preheat your grill to high and remove the outer leaves of the lettuce. Slice the romaine in half-length ways, drizzle with olive oil and season lightly with salt and pepper. Lay each half onto the hot grill cut side down and girl for about 2-3 minutes or until the romaine starts to get a good char color on it. Transfer the lettuce to a large platter.
- Slice the strawberries into quarters and place on top of the romaine wedges.
- Cut the avocado into small dice and add to the romaine followed by the salami chunks, oregano, cilantro and cheese.
- Lightly drizzle some of the dressing over the romaine and serve at once.