Strawberry Slab Pie
You can add this recipe to a collection to create a shopping list!Print Recipe Add to CollectionGo to Collections
- Stand mixer, paddle attachment
- 5 cups flour
- 2 tsp salt
- 4 tsp sugar
- 2 cups cold unsalted butter cubed
- 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup ice water
- 10 cups fresh sliced strawberries divided
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 cup corn starch
- 2 Tbsp heavy cream
- 2 Tbsp sugar
For the crust:
- For the crust, combine flour, salt, and sugar in a large mixer bowl fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix on low speed to combine.
- Add butter all at once and mix on low speed until completely incorporated and mixture has the texture of coarse meal, about 2 minutes.
- Add 1/2 cup ice water and mix on low speed until dough comes together in large clumps and pulls away from sides of the bowl, about 30 seconds. If needed, add additional water 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Divide dough into two equal portions. Wrap each portion in plastic and flatten slightly to form a disc.
- Chill in the refrigerator at least 1 hour.
For the filling:
- While the dough is chilling, prepare the filling. Combine 6 cups sliced strawberries, sugar, and salt in a large saucepan.
- Cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until the fruit has softened (6-8 minutes).
- Add lemon juice and stir well.
- Gradually whisk in cornstarch until completely dissolved.
- Continue cooking for 2-3 more minutes, until filling has thickened, and the sauce coats the back of a spoon.
- Transfer filling to a mixing bowl and stir in remaining 4 cups strawberries. Let filling cool to room temperature before using.
Assemble the pie:
- Place one disc of dough on a floured board and dust dough with flour. Roll out dough into a 17×12-inch rectangle. If dough starts to stick, use a bench scraper to lift dough from board.
- Transfer dough to an ungreased 15x10x1-inch baking pan, pressing firmly against bottom and sides. Chill for 15 minutes.
- Repeat the rolling process with the second disc of dough, rolling out to just under a 1/4-inch thickness.
- Use a pastry wheel or sharp knife to cut dough into 1 1/2-inch diagonal strips for the lattice top. Chill the strips for 15 minutes.
- Spoon strawberry filling into chilled bottom crust and arrange dough strips over the top in a lattice pattern. Trim the strips and press firmly to seal the edges.
- Chill assembled pie in the freezer for at least 1 hour before baking, or overnight (if freezing overnight, lightly cover with plastic wrap).
- Place a heavy duty piece of foil in the bottom of the oven and preheat to 375°F. Brush lattice lightly with heavy cream and sprinkle with sugar.
- Place pie in oven and bake for 50 to 55 minutes or until crust is golden and fruit juices are bubbling slowly at the center of the pie. If pie is fully frozen, baking time may be up to 75-85 minutes.
- Check pie partway through – if crust is browning too quickly, shield edges or top with foil for remaining baking time.
- Cool pie on a wire rack for at least 3 hours before serving (the filling thickens as it cools). Once the pie is cut, store leftovers in the refrigerator.