Crispy on the outside and stuffed with creamy strawberry filling, these homemade churros by Matt of A cook Named Matt are an irresistible dessert!
Strawberry Stuffed Churros
Yield: 12 Churros
You can add this recipe to a collection to create a shopping list!Print Recipe Add to CollectionGo to Collections
- stand or electric hand mixer
- piping bag & tip
- food processor
- candy thermometer
For the strawberry filling:
- 2 cups strawberries chopped
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup water
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup mascarpone
- ½ cup cream cheese
For the churros:
- ¼ cup butter
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 ½ cups water
- pinch of salt
- 2 ½ cups flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup corn starch
For the strawberry sugar:
- 1 cup dehydrated strawberries
- 2 cups sugar
- 24 oz canola oil for frying
- Start by making the strawberry sauce for the filling. Add chopped strawberries, sugar, water, and vanilla extract to a small saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, then simmer until the mixture begins to thicken, for about 10 minutes.
- Remove the strawberry sauce from heat and transfer into a container. Place it in the fridge and let it cool completely.
- To make the churro batter, in a medium saucepan, add the butter, sugar, water, and salt.
- Bring it to a boil and let it simmer for 5 minutes.
- Turn the heat to low and add in the flour. Stir well with a spatula until it comes together as dough.
- Transfer the dough into a stand mixer and mix on low.
- Add in the eggs to the dough while mixing. Let it mix for 3 minutes until combined.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and sprinkle corn starch on top.
- Transfer the dough into a piping bag and pipe into 8-inch churros directly onto the corn starch. Set aside.
- To make the filling, combine mascarpone and cream cheese into a medium bowl. Whisk until well combined. Add in the strawberry sauce to the mix until smooth. Transfer into another piping bag and set aside.
- Prepare the strawberry sugar by combining dehydrated strawberries and sugar into a food processor and blend until it becomes a fine sugar. Transfer sugar onto a small baking sheet.
- Heat up canola oil in a large pot until it reaches 325°.
- Fry churros in the oil for about 3 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove churros from the oil and roll them into the strawberry sugar until evenly coated.
- Pipe strawberry filling into the churros.
Serving: 1 churro | Calories: 865kcal | Carbohydrates: 93g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 54g | Saturated Fat: 16g | Cholesterol: 98mg | Sodium: 163mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 62g