A trifle is an English dessert typically made with layers of fruit, sponge cake soaked in sherry, and custard. This Easy Strawberry Trifle can be made using fresh or frozen strawberries, and layered into individual serving glasses or into one large, 6-cup glass serving dish depending on your preference. Either way, the result is a beautiful and delicious dessert everyone will love!
Yield: 6 servings
You can add this recipe to a collection to create a shopping list!Print Recipe Add to CollectionGo to Collections
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups 1% milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 6, 1- inch-thick slices angel food cake
- ¼ cup dry sherry
- 1 (16-ounce) container frozen, sliced strawberries, thawed (about 1½ cups)
- Toasted sliced almonds and whipped cream for garnish
To make custard
- In bowl, whisk together sugar, cornstarch, salt, and eggs until smooth.
- Slowly whisk in milk; transfer mixture to heavy-bottomed saucepan.
- Place over medium heat and cook, whisking constantly, about 5 minutes or until mixture comes to a boil and thickens.
- Reduce heat to low; whisk 1 minute more.
- Remove from heat; whisk in vanilla. Transfer to bowl; place a sheet of plastic wrap directly onto surface of custard. Refrigerate until cold.
To assemble trifle
- Place 1 slice angel food cake in bottom of a 1-cup individual glass dish; sprinkle with 2 teaspoons of the sherry.
- Spread 2 tablespoons strawberries evenly over cake. Spread 1/3 cup custard over strawberries. Top with 2 tablespoons strawberries; garnish with whipped cream and almonds. Repeat with remaining ingredients to make 6 individual servings.
Trifle can be assembled in one large, 6-cup serving dish instead of individual dishes.
Serving: 2 cups | Calories: 324kcal | Carbohydrates: 45g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 67mg | Sodium: 437mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 21g