This dessert marries the comforting flavours of baked California-grown apples with the refreshing sweetness of California strawberry sorbet. This rustic-yet-elegant galette features thinly sliced apples that are gently spiced, then nestled within a buttery, flaky puff pastry. The contrast between the warm apples and the icy, fruity strawberry sorbet creates a delightful sensory experience. The tartness of the sorbet harmonizes beautifully with the apple’s sweetness.
Apple Galette with Strawberry Sorbet
You can add this recipe to a collection to create a shopping list!Print Recipe Add to CollectionGo to Collections
- 2 California-grown Gala apples washed, dried and thinly sliced
- ¼ cup 60mL sugar
- 1 lemon zest
- 1 tbsp 15mL cinnamon
- 1 tbsp 15mL cornstarch
- 1 sheet of puff pastry
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 kg. 2.2 lbs California strawberries, hulled and roughly chopped (about 6 cups)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup 60mL cold water
- Garnish: sliced California strawberry
- Combine all ingredients in a blender. Process until smooth, about 1 minute.
- Strain the strawberry purée mixture through a fine mesh strainer to remove any seeds and lumps.
- Transfer into an airtight container or a loaf pan and cover tightly with plastic cling wrap. Freeze for 4 hours.
- Take the sorbet out of the freezer and whisk it to a slushy consistency. Cover and return to the freezer and leave to fully set, about 4 more hours.
- Preheat the oven to 220°C / 425°F . Leave the puff pastry out to thaw.
- In a bowl, combine the sliced California-grown Gala apples, sugar, lemon zest, cinnamon, cornstarch, and a sprinkle of salt. Use a spoon or your hands to mix well.
- Place the apple mixture in the center of the puff pastry sheet, leaving a 2-3 cm/2-inch border. Carefully, fold the edges towards the center and over each other.
- Brush the edges with the beaten egg. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until puffed and golden brown. Serve with strawberry sorbet.