Carlota de fresa is a strawberry icebox cake that is popular in Mexico. It consists of a silky strawberry-lime cream and layers of Maria cookies. There’s no baking required so it’s super easy to make! Recipe by Dora’s Table.
Carlota de Fresa (Strawberry Icebox Cake)
Yield: 1 Cake
You can add this recipe to a collection to create a shopping list!Print Recipe Add to CollectionGo to Collections
- Parchment paper, 8 x 8 glass baking dish
- 16 oz. 1 package Silken tofu, soft
- 1 cup sugar granulated
- ⅓ cup strawberries chopped
- ¼ cup lime juice fresh
- ¼ cup almond milk unsweetened
- ½ tsp. agar agar powder
- 2 ½ packs sleeves El Mexicano Maria cookies
- 1 ½ lb. strawberries for topping
- Place tofu, sugar, 1/3 of cup of strawberries in the blender. Turn blender on low setting and add in lime juice gradually. Pour into a medium bowl.
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, add the almond milk and agar agar powder. Whisk to combine. Place in microwave 15 seconds at a time until the liquid bubbles and thickens.
- Add ½ cup of the strawberry-lime mixture into the bowl with the agar agar milk and whisk well. Pour this mixture into the bowl with the rest of the strawberry-lime mixture. The mixture should be thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Line the bottom of an 8×8 glass baking dish with parchment paper. Add a layer of strawberry-lime cream and cover it with a layer of cookies (press down lightly on the cookies) and pour some of the strawberry-lime cream mixture on top, enough to cover them, but not drown them.
- Line the sides of the baking dish with Maria cookies.
- Repeat the process of adding another layer of cookies and then covering it with the strawberry-lime cream until all the strawberry-lime cream mixture and cookies have been used up. (You can also add up to three layers of sliced strawberries in between the cookie layers.)
- Place cake in refrigerator for at least 4 hours or until it has set.
- Invert the baking dish onto a plate. Carefully peel off the parchment. Decorate with strawberries.
- Cut and serve cold.
Serving: 6 slices | Calories: 511kcal | Carbohydrates: 101g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 441mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 55g