When it comes to food, there are certain combinations that immediately stand out as classics: peanut butter and jelly, chips and salsa, grilled cheese and tomato soup, milk and cookies.
But how about strawberries and goat cheese? This flavor pair is so good, we are definitely adding it to our list of classics! The slightly sweet, slightly tart fresh strawberries match perfectly with smooth, tangy goat cheese in this Chinois and Goat Cheese Strawberry Salad. The balsamic vinegar and Dijon mustard vinaigrette ties it all together for a healthy, fresh salad that makes a perfect appetizer, snack, or light meal.
Chinois & Goat Cheese Strawberry Salad
- ½ cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp chopped garlic
- ¾ Tbsp sugar
- 2 cups soybean oil
- Salt + pepper to taste
Fried Wonton Strips
- 6 oz wonton skins
- Vegetable oil as needed
- 6 lbs spring mix or mesclun salad
- 3 quarts fresh California strawberries
- 1½ cup toasted pine nuts
- 4½ lbs fresh goat cheese crumbled
To make the Balsamic Vinaigrette:
- In blender jar, purée vinegar, mustard, garlic and sugar.
- With motor running, slowly drizzle in oil until vinaigrette is thick and emulsified.
- Season with salt and pepper.
To make the Fried Wonton Skins:
- Cut wonton skins into 1/4-inch strips.
- Deep-fry in 350°F oil until crisp and golden.
- Drain on paper towels; sprinkle lightly with salt.
For each serving:
- To order, toss 4 cups spring mix, 1/2 cup strawberries, 1 tablespoon pine nuts and 3 ounces goat cheese with 1 1/2 tablespoons Balsamic Vinaigrette.
- Mound on salad plate; top with 1/4 cup Fried Wonton Strips.