If you don’t cook often with fennel, consider making it a staple on your grocery list – with a strawberry clam-shell included, of course. Fennel is a highly aromatic and flavorful herb that is incredibly versatile, adding a slightly sweet licorice flavor that can be enhanced through braising, sautéing, roasting, or even grilling. Indigenous to the Mediterranean, most fennel available in the US is actually grown in California – just like nearly 90% of the nation’s strawberries! This nutritious veggie is loaded with vitamin C, iron, fiber, and potassium, plus the entire plant is edible from its roots to its feathery leaves, making it an environmental and sustainable choice for those looking to reduce food waste.
Our Strawberry Chicken and Fennel Salad is flavorful, fresh, and super healthy, making it a great choice for a mid-day snack or light meal.
Strawberry Chicken Fennel Salad
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- ⅓ cup walnut oil
- 2½ Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbsp roasted garlic purée
- ⅛ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp pepper
- 1 pound grilled chicken breast strips
- 3 cups about 1 pound fresh California strawberries, stemmed and sliced
- 3 cups thinly sliced fennel bulb
- 3 cups shredded radicchio
- ¾ cup shredded basil
- 1½ cups toasted walnut halves
To make vinaigrette
- In blender or food processor, purée oils, vinegar, garlic purée, salt and pepper until emulsified.
To make salad
- In large bowl, toss chicken, strawberries, fennel, radicchio, basil and walnuts with vinaigrette. Mound salad on 6 plates, dividing it equally.