Chocolate Strawberry Trifles
You can add this recipe to a collection to create a shopping list!Print Recipe Add to CollectionGo to Collections
- Electric Mixer
- 6 ounces water
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1⅛ cup flour
- 1¼ tsp salt
- 1 ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 ½ cup refined sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 4 ½ oz vegetable oil
- 6 oz buttermilk
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 3 Tbsp confectioners’ sugar
- 1 lb fresh California strawberries sliced
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- Place water in a small saucepan and place over medium heat. Bring to a boil, then remove from heat.
- Stir in cocoa powder, whisking with a hand whisk constantly until the cocoa is well combined and smooth. Set aside.
- Sift together the dry ingredients (flour, salt, baking soda, sugar) in a mixing bowl.
- Add liquid ingredients (eggs, oil, buttermilk) into a separate bowl.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry while mixer is on medium. Mix until combined.
- Add the chocolate and mix until combined.
- Pour the batter evenly into a 9x9 baking pan or a sheet cake pan.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until the cake is firm and no longer jiggly in the center.
- While the cake is baking, make the homemade whipped cream. Using an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, add 2 cups heavy cream and 3 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar.
- Whip on medium speed until the cream thickens. About 5 minutes.
- Once the chocolate cake is baked, take it out of the oven and let it cool completely.
- Cut the chocolate cake into small squares, about 1” each.
- In mini trifle dishes, layer the whipped cream, chocolate cake squares and sliced strawberries. You will use about ½ cup whipped cream, 6-8 chocolate cake squares and 3 strawberries sliced per trifle.