A Taste of ColombiaThese Colombian Sweet Corn Arepas with Strawberries make for a sweet and savory blend of flavors for a perfect light lunch or snack.
What are arepas?Arepas are flat, pancake-like breads made with cornmeal, water, and salt. They are traditional staples for breakfast, lunch, and dinner in both Colombia and Venezuela. Colombian arepas have been described as being thin with more of a sweet corn flavor profile, while Venezuelan arepas are described as being thicker and more sandwich-like. And when it comes to toppings, they are generally added on top of Colombian arepas as opposed to being stuffed into the middle, like Venezuelan arepas.
Colombian Sweet Corn Arepas with Strawberries
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 35 minutes
Servings 6 servings
- 2 cups fresh or thawed frozen corn kernels
- 1½ cups hot water
- 2 cups yellow instant cornmeal
- 2 tsp low fat sour cream
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/3 cup cheddar cheese grated
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
Strawberry Mango Salsa
- 1 cup strawberries diced
- ½ cup mango diced
- ¼ cup pineapple juice
- 1 tsp fresh mint chopped
- 1 cup prepared whipped cream optional
To make Arepas:
- In a blender, pulse the corn kernels and hot water until smooth.
- In a large bowl, mix cornmeal, sour cream and sugar. Slowly add corn mixture while stirring with your hands or a wooden spoon; add cheese and divide dough into about 18 pieces.
- Roll each piece into a ball and flatten it into a pancake about ¼ inch thick and 3 inches in diameter (rub your fingers around the edge so that it maintains its thickness).
- In a medium skillet (or a sandwich press), melt butter over low heat.
- Cook arepas until golden for 3 to 5 minutes on each side. They should be toasted on the outside but soft in the middle. Let cool to room temperature.
To make Strawberry Mango Salsa:
- In a medium bowl, combine strawberries, mango, juice and mint.
- Top each arepa with 1 to 2 tablespoons strawberry salsa and 1 tablespoon whipped cream, if desired.
Serving: 1g | Calories: 359kcal | Carbohydrates: 66g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 19mg | Sodium: 53mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 9gPrint