Colorful and DeliciousWhen the occasion calls for red, white and blue layer cake we’ve got you covered with Strawberry Fireworks Cake loaded with berries and homemade whipped cream. While it may appear to be complicated, it’s actually easier to make than the average layer cake. Homemade whipped cream is quite easy to whip up and even easier to slather on top of and in-between cake layers. As far as the colorful layers, it’s just a couple drops of color added to the batter!
Strawberry Fireworks Cake (Red, White & Blue Layer Cake)
Prep Time 30 minutes
Cook Time 25 minutes
Total Time 55 minutes
Servings 12 -16 slices
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1½ cups granulated sugar
- 1 stick ½ cup unsalted butter, cubed and room temperature
- 3 large eggs
- ¾ cup low-fat milk divided
- 1 tsp vanilla
Homemade Whipped Cream
- 8 oz cream cheese preferably Philadelphia brand
- ½ stick unsalted butter
- 2 cups powdered confectioners sugar
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 pound fresh strawberries halved
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
Nutrition information calculated based on a 16 slice yield
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- With butter, grease two 8-inch cake pans and cover the bottoms with parchment paper. Grease the paper too, and lightly dust both pans with flour.
- Sift flour, baking powder, sugar and salt in bowl of stand mixer. With paddle attachment, blend on slow for 10 seconds.
- In small bowl lightly whisk eggs with ¼ cup of the milk and vanilla extract; set aside.
- To the dry mixture add the butter and beat on low for about a minute until combined. Slowly add the remaining ½ cup milk until incorporated into dry ingredients.
- Increase speed to medium and blend for about a minute until the batter is thick and smooth.
- Add egg/milk mixture in three parts on medium speed, scraping down sides and bottom at least once. Beat for another 30 seconds until batter looks a bit airy and smooth.
- Pour half the batter into another mixing bowl. To one bowl, fold in about 5 drops of red food coloring and to the other fold in about 5 drops of blue food coloring.Make sure color looks even in both bowls. Pour blue batter into one of the baking pans and the red into the other.
- Bake for about 25 minutes, until light golden brown and toothpicks come out dry when inserted in the top center. Remove pans, let cool in pan for 10 minutes, and then on wire rack until room temperature.
Whipped Cream Topping:
- On high speed, beat whipping cream with powdered sugar and vanilla extract until stiff peaks form.
- With serrated knife, trim edges of cake.
- With spatula, spread 1/3 of whipped topping onto first layer of cake. Add second cake layer.
- Spread the remainder of the whipped cream to the top of the cake and arrange berries in any pattern.
- Simply cut squares and layer in glass as desired. Top with whipped cream and strawberries.