Roasted Strawberry Sundaes are a great way to enjoy California strawberries paired with decadent homemade chocolate sauce.
Roasted Strawberry Sundae
You can add this recipe to a collection to create a shopping list!Print Recipe Add to CollectionGo to Collections
Roasted Strawberry Sauce
- 4½ cups about 1½ pounds fresh California strawberries, stemmed and quartered
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 vanilla bean
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- 5 oz bittersweet chocolate chopped
- 1 Tbsp strawberry or raspberry liqueur
- 9 cups vanilla ice cream
- 1½ cups about ½ lb fresh California strawberries, stemmed and quartered
To make Roasted Strawberry Sauce:
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In blender, purée 1½ cups of the strawberries; strain through fine-meshed strainer, pushing on strawberry purée with a spoon. Combine purée with remaining 3 cups strawberries and sugar.
- Slit vanilla bean lengthwise and scrape out seeds; add bean and seeds to strawberry mixture. Let stand 10 minutes; transfer to shallow baking dish large enough to hold strawberries in one layer.
- Roast in oven about 20 minutes or until strawberries are cooked and juices have reduced to a syrup.
To make Chocolate Sauce:
- In saucepan, bring sugar and 3 tablespoons water to a boil; reduce heat and simmer until sugar dissolves. Add cream and chocolate. Cook over low heat, stirring, until chocolate melts. Remove from heat; add liqueur.
- Spoon 2 tablespoons Chocolate Sauce in the bottom of each of 6 sundae glasses.
- Add a (¾-cup) scoop ice cream; top with 2 tablespoons Roasted Strawberry Sauce. Repeat layers. Top each with ¼ cup fresh strawberries.