Fresh Strawberry Sheet Cake
You can add this recipe to a collection to create a shopping list!Print Recipe Add to CollectionGo to Collections
- Stand mixer, paddle attachment
- 2 ½ cups cake flour
- 1 ½ tsp aluminum-free baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 ¼ cups sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk, room temperature
- ½ cup plain non-fat Greek yogurt, room temperature
- 1 cup fresh sliced strawberries
- ¾ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 4 oz cream cheese, at cool room temperature
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 2 cups fresh sliced strawberries
For the cake:
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 13 x 9-inch baking pan with nonstick spray.
- Whisk together cake flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Beat butter and sugar in a large mixer bowl at medium speed until light and fluffy, then add vanilla. Add eggs one at a time and beat until combined.
- Combine buttermilk and Greek yogurt in a small bowl and beat on medium-high. Reduce speed to low and add flour mixture in 3 additions, alternating with the buttermilk mixture (begin and end with flour mixture).
- Spoon batter into prepared baking pan and smooth with an offset spatula. Tap pan sharply to reduce air bubbles and top batter with sliced strawberries.
- Bake for 25 to 28 minutes, until the top and edges are golden, and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or with a few crumbs attached.
- Cool cake completely in the pan on a wire rack.
For the frosting:
- For the frosting, beat butter, cream cheese, and salt in a large mixer bowl on medium speed until smooth. Beat in vanilla.
- Mix in powdered sugar on low speed 1 cup at a time until incorporated, scraping down bowl as needed.
- Increase speed to medium-high and beat frosting for 1 minute, until light and airy.
- Dollop frosting over cooled cake and swirl with an offset spatula.
- Chill cake for 20 minutes in the refrigerator before slicing and serving topped with fresh strawberries.