This is a simple gluten-free strawberry scone recipe by Mia of Gathered Nutrition packed with juicy strawberries and made with wholesome ingredients.
Gluten-Free Strawberry Almond Scones
You can add this recipe to a collection to create a shopping list!Print Recipe Add to CollectionGo to Collections
- ¼ cup unsalted butter melted and cooled
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- 1 egg
- 3 Tbsp unsweetened almond milk plus 2 more Tbsp for brushing
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp almond extract
- ½ tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 + 1/2 cups fine almond flour
- ½ cup tapioca starch plus more for shaping the scones
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 cup fresh California Strawberries diced
For the glaze:
- 3 Tbsp coconut butter melted
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 2-4 Tbsp almond milk to thin
- In a large bowl, whisk the butter, coconut sugar, egg, 3 tablespoons of almond milk, vanilla extract, almond extract, and apple cider vinegar until smooth.
- Add the dry ingredients to the bowl and stir until everything is well combined; then gently fold in the strawberries.
- Coat a clean surface with tapioca starch, then drop the dough onto the surface (use a spatula to get all the dough out- it will be sticky). Sprinkle one side of the dough in tapioca starch, then flip the dough and repeat. Shape the dough into a disc about 1 inch thick, adding tapioca starch as needed if the dough is too sticky. Transfer dough to a plate and set in the freezer for 15 minutes.
- While dough is chilling, preheat oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Transfer the dough to the parchment-lined baking sheet, then cut into 6 triangles and move each triangle a few inches from one another. Don’t worry if they lose their shape a bit- you can reshape with your hands and it’s ok if they aren’t perfect.
- Brush the top of each scone with a little almond milk. Bake for 22-24 minutes, then allow to completely cool so that scones can set.
- Finally, make the glaze. Gently heat the coconut butter until melted and give it a good whisk. Then whisk in the honey and almond milk until thin enough to drizzle. Drizzle each scone with the glaze. Store leftovers in an airtight container.