These sweet gorditas are going to conquer your heart! They are crisp and golden brown on the outside and soft on the inside. I love them slathered with vegan butter or topped with California strawberry compote. Recipe by Dora’s Table.
Gorditas de Azúcar (Sweet Gorditas with Strawberry Compote)
You can add this recipe to a collection to create a shopping list!Print Recipe Add to CollectionGo to Collections
- Tortilla press * You may also use a rolling pin if you don’t have a tortilla press.
- 2 cups flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup vegan butter diced
- 1/2 cup warm almond milk
- 1 lb California strawberries cut into quarters
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest
- To make the dough: In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and mix together. Add the butter and rub into the flour with your fingertips, until fine crumbs form. Pour in the milk and using your hands bring the dough together to form a ball.
- Knead the dough for 5 to 6 minutes until the dough is smooth and bounces back lightly when poked. Let rest while making the compote.
- To make the compote: In a medium pot, combine the strawberries and sugar. Mix to combine and bring to a simmer. Simmer lightly for 6 to 8 minutes or until the strawberries begin to break down and the liquid thickens. Remove from the heat and let cool completely in the refrigerator.
- Divide the dough into 12 equal pieces and roll into balls. Heat a cast iron skillet or comal to medium-high heat.
- Using a tortilla press * press one of the dough balls in between two pieces of parchment paper. You should end up with a thin disk of dough. Place the gordita on the comal or skillet and cook for 3 minutes on each side until brown spots appear on the gordita and is hard to the touch. Repeat with the rest of the dough.
- Serve your warm gorditas topped with strawberry compote and enjoy!